• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

weekend project - 2 enclosures

jerobi2k

I was suppose to be working on a large melamine enclosure this weekend with my buddy, but he had a out of state loss in the family. so for the heck of it I tossed together 2 enclosures for my younger babies. nothing crazy, I don't like to mount light fixtures in smaller enclosures so on the lower unit I cut out and reversed one corner so the MVB bulb will be sunk in, Aquarium sealant, 6 - 7 coats water based sanding sealer and everything else is pretty basic. going to Ben Siegel's today for some more branches, cork bark and such.

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

katoeLAZARO

Wow that is extremely nice. Can you tell me the simple detail of making one and what it needs like ventilation . I have a red tegu and savannah so I have to make them one. Thanks. I really love how it came out. Very nice.

jerobi2k

thanks Katoe, when I get a few minutes ill shoot you a private message with some details. they are pretty basic enclosures. just got back from getting some branches and cork bark. gonna look sweet :)

katoeLAZARO

About the humidifier where did you get it? Lol I live in Miami and I wanted some for my red tegu and my green tree and my Chinese water dragon lol

jerobi2k

Thanks guys.
Hey Katoe, I see them at every pharmacy type store like Wallgreens & CVS. they are from 28$ - 30$. I live just north of you so Im sure the prices are the same and I know the stroes are, lol.

hoosier

5 Year Member
im with everyone eles very nice and also you should put the plans up on this post so everyone can see it :)

jerobi2k

today or tomorrow Im going to run back through home depot and make a parts/price list + basic instructions of what I did and I will post them up asap :D something I should have done to begin with :p

jerobi2k

yeah they are exactly that, I have a 7 ft enclosure for my large gU that I built years ago and I wanted to make another 8ft cage out of Melamine, so my buddy and I got all the Melamine Mats. for that cage but last week he had a loss in the family so thats been put on hold. I walked out into my garage and tried to lift the 6ft piece of melamine... got it 1ft off the ground and said "well that was fun"... ran to home depot and tossed these 2 small units together for my smaller guys, I had a few days off of work so I had to do something for my babies :D Im really far from a craftsman so Id say over all Im pleased with the 2.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would advise against building a cage out of melamine. I have a 4x2x4 that is made of melamine and it is already falling apart. I have only had it 6 months or so, but the high humidity and substrate takes a toll on the wood.

jerobi2k

hey James, even with sealing up the cage well with aquarium sealant, the wood still absorbs moisture? I was really hoping it wouldnt.. Oh boy.. that stinks.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's not even along the edge where mine is starting to bubble up. I'm not sure how the moisture is getting in there but it is.

One way to do it if you already have the melamine is to build it than cover the entire inside except the roof with FRP. It will be a bit more expensive, but should prevent any moisture from damaging the wood.

Joshjack90

NICE CAGES!!! what did you use for the front? glasS or plexi glass? Also how did you make it open? Does the glass slide open or is it like a hinged door?

NICE CAGES!!! What did you use for te front, Glass or plexi glass? Also how does it open? Does the glass slide or is it one giant fixed door?

jerobi2k

I have the Melamine in the garage Im thinking about returning it, still has the stickers on it and such. building a enclosure and sealing it with a bunch of coats its cheap, Id rather go that route and look at it as a couple year disposable. I wanted the melamine finished look, but I have no problem with just tossing some paint on the outside of a wood enclosure. thanks for looking out.
Joshjack90 said:
NICE CAGES!!! what did you use for the front? glasS or plexi glass? Also how did you make it open? Does the glass slide open or is it like a hinged door?

NICE CAGES!!! What did you use for te front, Glass or plexi glass? Also how does it open? Does the glass slide or is it one giant fixed door?

hey Josh, thanks. I used a sheet of plexi, made a frame for it out of molding, sealed it in place and tossed a few screws under the frame so they are hidden and the plexi is secure. the door is hinged to the top, with 3 small hinges and has 2 gate latches on the bottom of each side for locks. the front itself was just a flat piece of wood I cut into three, the door and 2 side pannels. also got a small gate handle on the bottom.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No problem, I will never use melamine again. It is a pain to work with, it weighs a ton, and doesn't cut very clean. The white chipped away on mine every time I cut it. I can only imagine how much a 8' enclosure would weigh.

hoosier

5 Year Member
Ill be making my next one out of ply but what wood do you all think is best to make enclosures? also what do you use to seal it with?

By the way the new signature is by far my favorite! nice varanid. i want to say V. rudicollis?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Depending on how big you are making it and if you will be stacking anything on top I would go with 1/2"-3/4" plywood. I just bought the cheap basic plywood. Seal the inside with Drylok (masonry sealant), it works amazingly and will make the cage watertight if done right. I sanded the outside and painted mine black.

hoosier

5 Year Member
awesome it will be 8'x4'xprobably 2' or someother height depending. i planed on 3/4'' and my deminsions are really based solely on ease of build. one sheet is 8x4. one sheet per top, one for bottom, one sheet cut in half longway for back and front. then one sheet cut in half for both sides. i may make it taller so i can make substrate deeper. not sure if it will be top opening or front opening yet. ill build when he goes down/slows down for the winter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu