• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

weekend project - 2 enclosures

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hoosier said:
awesome it will be 8'x4'xprobably 2' or someother height depending. i planed on 3/4'' and my deminsions are really based solely on ease of build. one sheet is 8x4. one sheet per top, one for bottom, one sheet cut in half longway for back and front. then one sheet cut in half for both sides. i may make it taller so i can make substrate deeper. not sure if it will be top opening or front opening yet. ill build when he goes down/slows down for the winter

If you are building it for a tegu and plan on putting lights inside, I would go at least 3' tall. I built mine 28" tall, so that I could get it through doorways, but when I went to install lights and add substrate I had to add 9" to the height so everything would fit right.

jerobi2k

I used plywood as well, I purchased 5 smaller sheets for both cages because the larger ones always seem to be a little warped. payed a few extra bucks but I think it was worth it. as far as sealing mine went, I used water based sanding sealer and aquarium sealant for the edges. I did 6 coats and this thing seems to handle water great! Since James reccomends the Masonry sealant Im sure its good as well, you can also use water based polyurethane sealer too.

my new signature is indeed my Varanus rudicollis, aside for my Tegu he has been the only other reptile to really capture my heart. he is truely amazing, I dont know many who have had them but the few people Ive come across seem to have similar relationships with theirs as I do mine and I highly reccomend them as pets. he is a real angel and has such a personality. heres a few more pics. :D http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=8862#axzz1T8slsiDa

jerobi2k

its just like a poly, but if the surface isnt absorbant (plywood is very) you put on a coat and buff it and continue to do that for as many coats as you want just no need for the sanding. Ive been told it takes to the wood a little better then the poly so I gave it a shot, I liked how it went on and how fast it dried. the Poly / Sanding Sealer were both water based and the same price so was worth a try. one of the guys at Ben Seigel's who use to be a painter told me about it.

hoosier

5 Year Member
oops i ment to post here and not in the other thread lol gorgeous lizard. i love panoptes and the salvators. can not wait to get into a situation where i can comfortably house a few :)

katoeLAZARO

lol so the kid i know myself to e thought i wouldnt find them in cvs or walgreens but i gve it a try anyways. i went to a walgreens that is close to a petstore lol and i actually found it lol thnk you so much

jerobi2k

np! they work awsome. I dont know if you set it up or not yet, but I used a few 1inch fittings like you would find at home depot. and it works amazing! well worth it, keeps the humidity nice and high with out soaking the enclosure at all, I love it!

katoeLAZARO

Sounds great I havnt got it yet I need to get some money first but yeah I was gonna go to homedepo to see if they would have that lol I guess I know that they do now haha .

Friedasian

If im not mistaken melamine is the same as particle board right? If so i think youi can buy moisture resistant particle boards. And what about using polyurethane?

pauljr456

5 Year Member
jerobi2k said:
thanks Katoe, when I get a few minutes ill shoot you a private message with some details. they are pretty basic enclosures. just got back from getting some branches and cork bark. gonna look sweet :)

hey jerobi2k would you mind sending the plans for this cage im building one for my baby and i need plans

bonedoc

jerobi2k said:
I was suppose to be working on a large melamine enclosure this weekend with my buddy, but he had a out of state loss in the family. so for the heck of it I tossed together 2 enclosures for my younger babies. nothing crazy, I don't like to mount light fixtures in smaller enclosures so on the lower unit I cut out and reversed one corner so the MVB bulb will be sunk in, Aquarium sealant, 6 - 7 coats water based sanding sealer and everything else is pretty basic. going to Ben Siegel's today for some more branches, cork bark and such.

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

Hello there, the cages look great, would you be able to forward me your dimension and sketch of your plans or even post them up here?

Thanks

jerobi2k

hey Bonedoc, just sent you a link with a brief summary of parts and such. hope it helps, feel free to PM or email me anytime. sorry for late response just saw your post. -Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu