• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

weird behavior

cole_schank

i just got my tegu a new heat light and he seems to be shaking like crazy and twithcy..? why would he be doing that? too hot?

kim86

is the wattage the same? what kind/brand of heat light is it? do you have something to measure the temps? how big is your enclosure? how old is your tegu?

m3s4

Is the light UVB? If not, it needs to be - if so, nice.

Is the light positioned too close to the floor of the enclosure? If so, it's possible your tegu is burning the pads of his feet and/or any other part of his body that's making contact with the hot spot.

If that isn't the case, it could be twitching that may be associated with the early stages of Metabolic bone disease.

Not many things cause tegus to twitch but too much surface heat or MBD definitely can.

cole_schank

well the bulb i was using was an all in one but i just bought this one to hold him over for a day or so. its an all living things bulb from petsmart.. 150 watt but it claims to be an all in one, so i thought i would test it out to see if it was any good. hes in a 40 gallon. im watching him closely, if he gets too much he moves away but when he cools down he stops twitching.. its like he is warming up and getting really amped! he gets his food dusted always and efficient uvb.. i dont think its MBD. he is very healthy and hearty! ill keep watching him and reporting back.

m3s4 said:
Is the light UVB? If not, it needs to be - if so, nice.

Is the light positioned too close to the floor of the enclosure? If so, it's possible your tegu is burning the pads of his feet and/or any other part of his body that's making contact with the hot spot.

If that isn't the case, it could be twitching that may be associated with the early stages of Metabolic bone disease.

Not many things cause tegus to twitch but too much surface heat or MBD definitely can.

it must be too hot! thank you. i will post back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu