• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Weird droppings

agv0008

I found this on Gilly's food dish today. Not sure what it is. It doesn't really look like a sperm plug... and I don't think he is old enough to be doing that.

Sorry for the gross picture, I just can't figure out if it is just urates or something to be concerned about.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38

Teg

Urates and poo ... Looks quite normal to me ! Don't know if all Tegus are the same but my Teg allways does both at the same time so you get water, urate and poo ! Although I'm no expert !!

agv0008

I guess it just scared me because it was a TON of urates. There is usually just a little at the end, but this time there was that huge long piece.

HeatherN

it just looks like the urate didnt condense as much as normal. usually happens to my lizards, regardless of species, if they drank a lot of water beforehand. i believe the reason reptiles excrete urates instead of urine like mammals is to conserve water (different kindey mechanisms). makes sense that when they are a little saturated from a long drink that they rather just excrete what they dont need. forgive me if im misremembering my info, finals week has got the brain fried

Tannaros

HeatherN said:
i believe the reason reptiles excrete urates instead of urine like mammals is to conserve water

That's mostly correct. Reptilia and Aves, or at least most, excrete uric acid as it is less soluble in water, and thereby conserve more. However, due to the structure of reptiles kidneys, and that they do not possess a urinary bladder, they are unable to concentrate their excretion to deal with dehydration as mammals do with urine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980