• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Weird method...

Bobby1220

So, my new red is pretty tame when it comes to running around and interacting with me. As soon as I present my hands to her she runs but within a few seconds shes right back to wandering around and comming up to me. I found a way for her to get used to my hands and now she is fine with me petting her. First I open up the enclosure door and coax her over with a pinky mouse (held with long tweezers) once she gets a bit closer i place my hand palm down on the floor. As she nears i raise the mouse a bit higher and she keeps her focus on it raising her head . by the time shes right under the pinky shes over my hand. I slowly raise up my hand untill she can reach the pinky and she just sits on my hand and finishes eating it , i feed her a few more and then she is totally complacent. I then can pick her up no problem and now when i go sit with her in the cage she comes running over and climbs up my arm! Im relatively new to this but i figured id share it with you guys and see if it works for you.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Oh, buddy! You better be careful there! You don't want your tegu associating your hands with food (happens all the time when people use their hands less than you seem to be). Be careful there--it's kinda cute when a little 18 inch tegu accidentally bites you--it's kinda not when a 12 pound tegu accidentally bites you.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^^Good warning^^

While this approach may still work, there are other methods that do not include food that bring less risk. Most people find that using a very consistent feeding bowl/dish and feeding location, the Tegu quickly learns and does not display food aggression elsewhere. Feeding while handling makes handling trigger food aggression. "Food aggression" does not always appear "aggressive", but I feel it's best they not have their appetite 'turned on' when my hands are near.

My approach was to simply "work" in the enclsoure often. Never fast or jerky, but not so slow it seems like I am stalking. Just a calm casual steady pace. My hands quickly became an acceptible part of his world. I have never "held" my Tegu alot, but I have taken it out to roam in a given area frequently from the begining. When smaller he roamed in a large confined space, but now he just wonders wherever (in the house).

frost

1,000+ Post Club
good advice.i cant wait to get my pair whenever they hatch..luckily im keeping myself busy so i dont go insane waiting.lol

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would never use food and my hands together with a tegu as forewarned above, i got bit by a 2' red tegu twice and that left a decent size cut, now imagine what a 15 lb. 4'+ tegu can do Luckily i never found out. There are other safer methods you can utilise to help your tegu get comfortable with your hands. One is the empty tub, were you sit still in an empty tub and let your tegu climb around you. But my favorite is letting the tegu soak in warm water, let him relax the gently stroke his back eventually he will see you mean him no harm, especially since they like to be rubbed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029