• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Weird tail motion

Schnab

5 Year Member
I hade my tegu out the other day for some freeroaming in the bathroom and she did the strangest thing with her tail. She went up against the wall, and she'd wiggle the bottum half of her tail in a wave-like motion, then she'd make the tip vibrate a few times before she started to out and about again.

What does this mean?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My big girl does that sometimes. She's very territorial, but a sweetie outside of her enclosure. Sometimes I feel like I have to swoop in to get her out and when I put her down, she does that tail wiggle thing. I always took it as either "Back off", or "Wow, I'm freaked out now".

She never has shown any aggressive behavior along with the tail motion, but I've never provoked her either.

Schnab

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
That's a warning!!

Ah yeh? lol wow I would of never guessed that on account she'd crawl on and off me the whole time we were in there lol. Maybe she felt cornerned?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is she young or new? Thinking of your post reminded me that my tegu also did it when she was really young. At that age, they think everything is going to eat them, and being in a different surrounding she felt a bit intimidated. Sometimes lizards will also wiggle their tails as a distraction so the big bad predator will attack the tail and not the head.

Patimus

5 Year Member
Mine used to do it all the time when I rubbed her head. I thought it meant they enjoyed what was happening to them. I guess not.

Luvmytegu

5 Year Member
Schnab said:
I hade my tegu out the other day for some freeroaming in the bathroom and she did the strangest thing with her tail. She went up against the wall, and she'd wiggle the bottum half of her tail in a wave-like motion, then she'd make the tip vibrate a few times before she started to out and about again.

What does this mean?

That is def a warning....Stand clear of the tail when they do that. You get a swat with that tail, it's gonna hurt! One day when mine was out roaming, we had his food dish on the floor, the cat came over to sniff the food dish. He arched his back to the side and the tail started.....Then all of a sudden...WHACK!, he smacked the cat with his tail LOL

Luvmytegu

5 Year Member
LOL .... I have found that mine will do the tail thing if I come up on him too fast...it must be a defensive thing they do in the wild. He has never swatted me though.

Retic11

5 Year Member
I Love this forum. I just noticed this with my Tegus yesterday and was wondering. All of them do it for some reason. I could sit and watch these guys for hours and Laugh untill my guts hurt.
My Male Black and White will Take a crap and then wipe his but like a dog scooting across the carpet. Cracks me up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029