• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Well that's Unexpected!

tresh

My tegus decided not to hibernate this year. The female slept for about a month, got up every few days for water, then decided she wanted to be awake. For the last month and a half, both of my adults have just been awake when they feel like, eating like crazy, being normal tegus.

Then, this morning they wake me up with this horrible ruckus, and what do I find, but two tegus going at it in my hallway!

This is unexpected because 1) isn't it way too early for this? 2) she won't hibernate, doesn't that usually effect the fertility?

I've definitely totally not ready for this, they sleep about 12-18 hours a day most days...I was assuming that they were going to sleep most of the winter, if not hibernating at least brumating, and until this morning, that's what they were doing.

I seperated them for now while I try to figure out what I"m going to do. Totally unexpected...as it seems my tegus always want to be.

They didnt' even have any sort of warning behavior before this. Just totally unexpected way to start my day.

Now though...now I have to figure out what to do.

tresh

I've got two black and whites, the female is a blacknose from Varnyard 2011, the boy is unknown about his breeding, just that he's a little over 2 years old.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are of the right age to breed and with the weather they way it has been I would keep the separated until you are ready for them to breed.

tresh

Well, to update this, we've had some problems. At some point, someone left the door to the room she's kept in open, and things happened.

Among them, she tore the male up. She's barely half his size, but she managed to kick his ass. And tear one of his toes off. That's right. She tore his toe completely off, to the point where it was hanging by nothing except the tendon. Needless to say, the toe could not be saved, and after an expensive vet visit about 10 days ago, he's on antibiotics and doing just fine.

She on the otherhand...she's gone feral on us. She doesn't like to be touched, she lunges at hands, she freaks out at human contact. So for now, she's got herself a nest in one of the closets...and we're going with the assumption that she's probably gravid. Considering her age, we didn't think this could happen, but apparently it can.

Once we're more certain, she'll head to the vet to check and see if she's got eggs going on, but considering her attitude, it's definitely looking like a very strong possibility. Whether we try to save the eggs or not remains to be seen.

So. Accidents happen. We made assumptions, and we were wrong.

She's not too small to be laying eggs though...we measured her, and she's at 41 inches in length.

tresh

So, question for folks. How long does this last? If I"m going with the assumption that they ended up mating, and she's going to get egg heavy, when should i expect to be finding eggs?

If they DIDN'T get together and she's NOT egg-heavy, when is she going to stop trying to eat everyone who gets close to her (seriously, she was jumping several feet into the air, trying to get me out of her territory this morning), and when is he going to quit being a horny little shithead, trying to mate with EVERYTHING she's touched?

I'm not having a fun time at the moment, trying to keep everyone seperated and trying to get them to act 'normal.' She's being downright aggressive, up until I'm actually holding her, then she calms down. And he sits at the door to the room she's in making that horny-male huffing sound.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Lol the way it sounds is funny I have no tegu breeding experiences but I have bearded dragon experiences and female beardies only get protective after egg laying

from Samsung Galaxy S3

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, years later, my female still tries to attack any tegu whether it is breeding season or not. :( I think that is the down side to breeding tegus. However, she still remains friendly to me.

Orion

5 Year Member
I have 2 females. One is as nice as can be and the other is a super beeoch! The mean one is like that 24/7 365. It also started out of the blue. Just one day about a year and a half ago after being kept in the same cage together for months, she started attacking the other female. She now goes after the male in the same way. Even when they are out in the yrad and no where near each other the aggressive female goes after the others. She is OK to me once she is outside the cage but inside her cage she can be unpredictable.

tresh

Thankfully, today I talked to the local pet store guys, and she's headed to see them on friday, so I'll know then if she's gravid. They're also going to help me get everything set up if she is. Works for me! And they get baby tegus in exchange for helping me with all this.

she let my husband hold her without problems today...so we're hoping that she's just being aggressive because of the boy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980