• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What are optimal temps for a young tegu?

fbaker8

I'm going to be picking up my first ever tegu on Monday. I've had plenty of other reptiles, but this is my first adventure getting something big and I am pretty excited. I have a 20 long hatchling enclosure all planned out, but my question is, what are the actual optimal temps for the hot and cool side of a tegu tank? Care sheets online are giving me a pretty wide range. I plan on having a full spectrum exo terra light for daytime basking and a red night heat light for night time, but I need to know how far from the lid to hang the light to keep my new friend nice and comfy. Thanks!

Also, is coco bark acceptable substrate? She will be fed outside the tank, but if she eats a little on accident is there much of a compaction risk?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
75 cool side 85 warm side basking of 105-110. What are you going to use for uvb? Coco bark will work for substrate.

Teguzilla

5 Year Member
Hello there :) I recommend you check out the caresheet already posted here: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7712#axzz20Y4q5aU7

As for the 20 gallon, I would definitely get something bigger. Tegus grow fast and that 20 gallon definitely won't last. A lot of people recommend a 40 gallon breeder or larger for young tegus. Bigger is always better :)

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Teguzilla said:
Hello there :) I recommend you check out the caresheet already posted here: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7712#axzz20Y4q5aU7

As for the 20 gallon, I would definitely get something bigger. Tegus grow fast and that 20 gallon definitely won't last. A lot of people recommend a 40 gallon breeder or larger for young tegus. Bigger is always better :)

Ditto
And its just not possible to get an appropriate temperature gradient in a 20g.
This is necessary for your Tegus health and well being. Please try to find something more appropriate.

fbaker8

Thanks for the responses. As for getting a bigger tank, I'm afraid I cannot do that right now. A 20 long is what I have, and I have been told that it will do just fine for a few weeks until I can get her permanent enclosure built. As far as UVB, I have the light from Exo Terra that has both UVA and UVB as well as basking heat. Found a decent deal on Amazon and figured that would be easier than trying to have three different domes going on a relatively small tank.

fbaker8

Yes, that one. It's 125, which is as low as I could get it. I plan on adjusting its distance from the tank until the temps are right.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You are going to have a hard time getting the temps right in that cage with a 125W bulb. What I would recommend is get a 18" tube UVB and a small wattage basking bulb. You can raise the basking spot to get the proper basking temp and keep the cool side low.

fbaker8

Just wanted to update. Penny is settling in quite well and is even cool with me coming in and out of the room and touching her now and again. I measured my temps with a digital probe; the hot side is a toasty 83 and the cool side 74 with a 102 basking spot. This is in the 20 long. So yes, a proper temp gradient is very do-able in a 20 gallon tank. :)

TuTegu

Re: RE: What are optimal temps for a young tegu?

What lighting did you use for your 20gal?:)
fbaker8 said:
Just wanted to update. Penny is settling in quite well and is even cool with me coming in and out of the room and touching her now and again. I measured my temps with a digital probe; the hot side is a toasty 83 and the cool side 74 with a 102 basking spot. This is in the 20 long. So yes, a proper temp gradient is very do-able in a 20 gallon tank. :)

fbaker8

I have an exo terra 125 watt solar glo bulb that I swap out at night for a 50 watt red night bulb. Although Penny likes sleeping on the cool side of her tank so the night bulb is probably not all that necessary.

TuTegu said:
What lighting did you use for your 20gal?:)
fbaker8 said:

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
Hey i have a question here and thought it might be appropriate on this thread. If i were to take my soon to be tegus' cage and put it in front of the sun would that be fine for a while before i get the proper lighting and heat for it? The sun hits my room and bakes it lol just wondering if this would be alright for the time being

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jeremyxb12 said:
Hey i have a question here and thought it might be appropriate on this thread. If i were to take my soon to be tegus' cage and put it in front of the sun would that be fine for a while before i get the proper lighting and heat for it? The sun hits my room and bakes it lol just wondering if this would be alright for the time being

No, how will you control the temps? How will you provide uvb?

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Jeremyxb12 said:

Dont let the naysayers discourage you.
This CAN work.
You just have to remove the glass from your enclosure.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thelegendofcharlie said:
Jeremyxb12 said:

This CAN work.

And from the window.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
james.w said:
Thelegendofcharlie said:
Jeremyxb12 said:

This CAN work.

And from the window.

::smacks forehead::
Yeah remove all the glass from your enclosure and your window and youre good to go!

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
What if i opened a window and put up a reflector to delfect the sun into the enclosure? and this would only be for a week or two. i do have calcium and vitamin supplements.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu