• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What does your Tegu usually eat?

ssspiral

For context, I often do volunteer work and rescue wildlife native to my area, however recently I rescued a fully grown female black and white tegu. She is living with me while we try to find her owners, and although I do know a bit about tegu care, I'd love to have more advice on their dietary needs. Since this tegu was in the wild for a few days, I offered her chicken as soon as she came in, however she didn't eat until the third day I had her. I've had her for about 6 days, and so far she has eaten quite a few pieces of cooked chicken (I now know it is better to feed raw), a quarter of a strawberry (she does not like fruits and veggies), a frozen medium feeder mouse, and some cooked egg. So far I've offered food every day, but I think I will start offering food every other day, as that seems to be when she gets hungry. I am aware that this is far from an ideal diet, which is why I am here for advice. For those of you who have tegus, what does yours eat on a daily basis? How often do you offer food? How often do you feed rodents, compared to plain meat? How much does your tegu eat? And how often do you add calcium supplements? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Acre

My sub-adult eats every other day. ReptiLinks and occasional banana and other fruit. Temp and humidiy are very important, as is UV. Hot spot at least in the 90's, humidity high 80's in the burrow or hide, mercury vapor lamp if no exposure to direct, unfiltered sunlight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980