• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What to get??

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am contemplating picking up ONE lizard as I don't have time to keep as many as I was previously. Problem is I need a little help deciding between a Rhino/Cuban Iguana and a Water monitor. I am leaning a bit towards the iguana due to the fact I can keep them without substrate and can feed them fairly inexpensively. I have an entire room to dedicate to either one so space isn't a concern.

I would just like some recommendations on which you would go with just to hear others point of view.

Maro1

Not water monitor because of size, food, mess, digging. That being said Rhino or Cuban. I like them both! Twin Cities reptiles in Minneapolis has a pair (Rhinos) in a 10x12 room with two tortoises. Very cool display

Bntegus

cycluras dont have the personality that the h20 monitor does i have both and the iguanas are just there you have had both i think you should go with argus or along those lines all pm you james i have some monitors you may want i also have rinos cubans c. pectinatas similis melanosterna.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey James, it's great to see that you're considering joining the cyclura swing of things once again. Personally, I've never owned a rhino, or a water monitor, but I think the two are beautiful. I chose a cayman iguana in the end, pretty much the same as the Cuban, due to the sheer size and appearances they have as adults. Buzz, my David Blair cayman hybrid, has grown significantly since I moved him outside 2 or 3 months ago. He went from being a about 2.5-3ft before I moved him outdoors, to now pushing the closer end of 4ft. His attitude is like no other reptile I've ever owned. Feeding him is rather cheap as I buy all his food from the local farmers market. He eats a lot per feeding, but I barely spend a 100 a month if not much less to feed him, probably closer to 70.

If I had to choose between a rhino and a cuban, I'd pick the Cuban, but would also love to own a rhino at some point in the future. I think you should get some tips from David, Ty or Ehrig on the matter if you still haven't decided. Its said that Cubans and caymans are usually easier to tame down than the rhinos, but I wouldn't count on it, I've seen many vids of tame rhinos. They are both dinosaur like reptiles, and that's what drew me to them. Their crap is almost completely odorless in my opinion (compared to tegus), and with Buzz, I've seen it's much easier to tame them down.

Do keep us posted, and if you need the numbers of any of the above breeders I listed, PM me. I'll post some updated pics of Buzz come this weekend.

Good luck.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
james.w said:
I am contemplating picking up ONE lizard as I don't have time to keep as many as I was previously. Problem is I need a little help deciding between a Rhino/Cuban Iguana and a Water monitor. I am leaning a bit towards the iguana due to the fact I can keep them without substrate and can feed them fairly inexpensively. I have an entire room to dedicate to either one so space isn't a concern.

I would just like some recommendations on which you would go with just to hear others point of view.

Well, I'd have to say the rhino iguana if only for the fact that the water monitor will require a huge water basin when fully grown. A huge water filled tub to poop in. It will be a real pain to keep changing that water every day, especially indoors where you can't just flip it over and hose it out.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
An Argus has also crossed my mind Billy. The biggest issue I have with the varanids is having to bring a bunch of dirt into the house. The last time I had all my lizards I ended up with gnats/fruit flies throughout the house, and I believe they came in with the dirt.

Billy do you have an Argus? Do they tame down like a Water or are they always on edge? I know they are very active and food aggressive but that would make it even more fun keeping one.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i have been wanting a rhino or a cuban for a while. they seem like they would be awesome to have. i wouldent get a water till i get a bigger house. the iggys seems like they would be easier to care for.

Bntegus

thats whats so great about argus they never stop they move in there sleep lol and they will huff and puff and whip but just let you pick them up i love them. i dont have any babies i have flavis same just smaller i have a buddy that has them ill call him. there the same as a tegu with food they love there food. and the whole dirt thing is more for breeding they just need a good place like your house to live.

RobK.

come on james , you know you miss having one of these . Mine has plenty of personality . LOL

roni2012c.jpg

frost said:
i have been wanting a rhino or a cuban for a while. they seem like they would be awesome to have. i wouldent get a water till i get a bigger house. the iggys seems like they would be easier to care for.

you will NOT be disappointed !!:D I have had two one tamed down in weeks , this guy took around 6 months no were learn two year like some say . BUT i spent a TON of time with mine ,

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u

roniapril20122-1.jpg

ronijune2012a.jpg

roniandme.jpg

RobK.

frost said:
hmm i heard that they take a long time to tame down. like 2 years.

IMO ,some say not to even try until they are two ,but no way i was going to have a mean 40'' + reptile . I started working with mine as soon as he calmed down and started eating good .I used a 12 '' stick and as soon as he took the food off the stick calmly , i moved down the stick a little each week , he was soon eating out of my hand and tamer . NOT saying it works for all of them , just the two i have had , I know this sound weird/crazy BUT when mine was small 12'' - 13 '' and when he tried to bite me , i just put my finger in his mouth , he gave that up within days. LOL I called his bluff . :D

frost

1,000+ Post Club
ugh that makes me want one even more. if i didnt need money for rent right now i would trade. maybe i can get enough money if i can manage to take care of rent and have some left over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980