• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Whats the best way to feed a tegu?

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
Hi guys, havent been on here in a while. My tegu is doing pretty good since his surgery and I recently bought another b/w argentine, its a male and hes 32 inches.
Anyway, both are cage aggressive due to being fed in their cage. What is the best way to go about feeding them (they are not housed together btw). I know I should feed them outside of their cage, but should I put the food down without them seeing me with it and walk away so they dont associate me with food at all?? What do you guys do when feeding??
thx,
Leanne

TehPenguin

5 Year Member
Place food in a feeding tub prior to bringing in your tegu. Place your tegu in feeding bin. This will make them think that your being such a sweetheart bringing them to their lunch, not bringing lunch to them. :)

Jer723

5 Year Member
well i show them the food and put it in with them, my tegu doesnt care, he isnt the slightest bit aggressive, i think it just depends on the gu. but if they arer quite aggressive i would go about it the way he said.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
The best way honestly is to do it in a different feeding bin by putting the food in the bin prior to putting the tegu in that way they associate the bin as the source of food, and not your fingers, that way when they see your fingers they wont charge them thinking you have food...not out of agression but out of being hungry which tegus always are. I will say though that I feed both of my tegus in the cage on big plates and dont have a problem as Ive had them both very tame for a while now and handle almost everyday. So its just what works for you but my first suggestion is best to start with. Also avoids impaction.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
thanks guys, that sounds like a good plan!!!
i tried it tonight and he wouldnt eat in the bin and as soon as i put him back in his tank and put his food in there and he ate it. i guess hes nervous when hes out. im going to keep trying the bin though! thx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.