• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When you first get your tegu?

Diesel

Alright so i have been planning on getting a baby tegu soon and the only question i have before i get him is how to feed him in the first two weeks when he is a baby? I know i shouldn't feed him in his cage and i also know that you should let them be for the first couple weeks so it can get use to its new home. I know its not like i can just not feed him for a couple weeks. So would the best thing to do just get another container ready with his food and only take him out for eating then put him back? Or what is the best thing to do?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
E Feeding inside the enclosure is a personal preference, I have fed 7 tegus inside their enclosure and not once have I had a problem with food agression, one of those 7 was a columbian and even he stayed calm, what most people do is place. Small dish of food in the enclosure mins before the lights come on or when s/he is hiding, make sure if you do feed inside the enclosure you have an area were the substrate is completely covered because they will wipe food around and it sticks too it

Diesel

alright i will do that for the first few weeks till he is ready. I rather feed outside becuase with my Colombian he was fed inside when i got him and he is cage aggressive when i first go in there but i will see Argentine tegus are different so it might work out. If so i'll get him a cute feeding dish ;) lol.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just know this when you first feed him outsde the cage make sure you give him his favorite food because once he is in a unknown place he will ignore his food if its not interesting to explore, I reccomend a rodent of apropriate size

Dana C

IMHO, if it truly is a baby, calcium dusted crickets will be fine in the short term and you can put a few in the cage. If he/she doesn't eat them all however, remove the ones that are left over so as not to stress the baby. When I say short term, I mean a week and maybe some once a week after that as a treat. Super worms are meaty and juicy and my baby loved them...actually they all do. If you put them in a small bowl, they can't climb out.
Again, dust them with calcium as well. If you are close to a wooded area, rotting logs and large branches often contain wood grubs which are also packed with protein a other good stuff. Actually, in a pinch you can eat them too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029