• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Which wattage bulb to go with for 40g

Adam2v

plan on getting a baby b/w tegu and had a question on what PowerSun bulb i should get. They say you shouldn't use a dimmer on them so i was wondering if anyone has used them with a 40 gallon breeder tank and what wattage was used for a perfect basking temp.

Thanks

Roadkill

5 Year Member
It completely depends on the ambient conditions. If room temperature is cooler, the bulb should be closer. Warmer temperatures and the bulb won't need to be as close.

Adam2v

It completely depends on the ambient conditions. If room temperature is cooler, the bulb should be closer. Warmer temperatures and the bulb won't need to be as close.

So it wont matter for the UVB and UVA as far as distance goes?

Roadkill

5 Year Member
It will, but again those will vary with ambient conditions. You'll get greater UVB intensity the closer the bulb is to the tegu. You'll also get greater thermal intensity and risk burning your tegu. Humidity, atmospheric pressure, several other factors can minimally impact the UVB. The main thing you want to be concerned with is the temperature your tegu will experience from the bulb, and whether the tegu can come in contact with the bulb.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
It will, but again those will vary with ambient conditions. You'll get greater UVB intensity the closer the bulb is to the tegu. You'll also get greater thermal intensity and risk burning your tegu. Humidity, atmospheric pressure, several other factors can minimally impact the UVB. The main thing you want to be concerned with is the temperature your tegu will experience from the bulb, and whether the tegu can come in contact with the bulb.
So wit a 95 hot side how far away would u put a 160w I would love the info because Godzilla still won't bask under the uvb amd its about 17-20" away from surface

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Adam2v

ahh alright thanks for the info.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
chitodadon, that's something you need to work out empirically for yourself. You want the bulb close enough so that your tegu can properly thermoregulate. When active, tegus like to regulate their body temperature at around roughly 37 degrees Celsius (about the same as most mammals). That doesn't mean that's the temperature the enclosure needs to be, but what temperature your tegu can achieve by basking. To figure this out, you're just going to need to do the "trial and error" method. Best tool to do that is an IR temp gun and measure your tegu's body temperature. If it isn't close, then you need to move the bulb closer so the tegu has access to greater thermal intensity.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
A smaller tegu will heat up faster than a larger tegu. A darker tegu will heat up faster than a lighter tegu. A fatter tegu will retain heat longer than a thinner tegu. A glass enclosure will have a higher degree of heat flux than an insulated enclosure. In other words, everyone has a different situation, and you need to fine tune your heating to suit yours. As stated, you want to give your tegu the appropriate heat to be able to behaviourally thermoregulate without danger of burning, and that tegus typically seem to prefer modulating their body temperature around 37 degrees Celsius.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Ok he stays on cool side a lot almost majority of time um less henis roaming or outside but when in enclosure he will go on hot side for about 2 minutes and sit under the lamp and then walk around hotside then back to cool sode and remember Godzilla got darker and also is 4ft 12lbs

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I don't know what you want me to say, only YOU can tell if your tegu has a good temperature by measuring your tegu's body temperature.

angel61939

plan on getting a baby b/w tegu and had a question on what PowerSun bulb i should get. They say you shouldn't use a dimmer on them so i was wondering if anyone has used them with a 40 gallon breeder tank and what wattage was used for a perfect basking temp.

Thanks

just use any bulb 100 or higher and you should be good

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980