• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Who plans to hibernate their tegu(s) this winter??

Who plans to hibernate their tegu(s) this winter??

• I do because I plan to breed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do because it is natural for them to do so.

• I do because (explain below).

• I don't because I want mine to grow big and fast.

• I don't because I don't plan on breeding.

• I don't because (explain below).

• I am leaving it up to the tegu. If he/she does or doesn't, I am cool either way.

• Total voters

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just curious to see who plans on hibernating their tegu(s) or not. I plan to do so as I would eventually like to try breeding my pair.

jor71

5 Year Member
I selected "I am leaving it up to the tegu. If he/she does or doesn't, I am cool either way." If he was meant to hibernate, so be it.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ours slow way down. We still see them every 2 to 4 days. Our big Red male has been sleeping alot more in the past couple of weeks. I've got to start changing the timers.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
It all depends on the tegu. Having three of them, chances are at least one of them will not hibernate. I don't plan to force a hibernation on them, so food will be offered just as often until they are ready to stop eating.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah, I'm just leaving it up to the Boon. I'm new with hibernating but he seems to be doing his own thing so i'll let it ride either way.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think force is a little strong. Besides how could you force a tegu to do anything? I don't think it will work out in your favor lol. It's more like encouraging them to do so. By shortening the light cycle and gradually lowering temps. you are following their natural cycle and encouraging to hibernate. If they don't, I'm gonna hit em over the head with a shovel to make sure they sleep for the winter!! Just Kidding!!!!

Exhume2Consume

5 Year Member
im really really new at this whole thing.
so im packing a corner of his enclosure with cypress mulch to see if he will make a burrow or something. so far hes on his regular schedule.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
i'll let groxy do her thing, looks like more of a brumation than hibrenation, she's sleeping more, eating less, and slowing down, but she's still trashing my room every day. and the temps ain't changen so it's her call.

my hatchling is showing no signs of brumation and is as active as allways.

argus333

5 Year Member
mine is outside and eating like a champ still im thinking around end of sept ill bring him in and put him in basement again. last yr it worked great i brought him in 2nd week of oct put him in a big plastic container with a foot of wet cypress mulch and leaves woke him up around end of may put him back outside. my basement is 60 degrees all yr. ill i did was and a little water to plastic tub 2 times a month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me