• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Why a Tegu?

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
Just wondering why and how everyone decided to own a tegu?

I have been a reptile lover and have owned reptiles for about 10 years. I have always really liked monitors but did not like the fact that they are not very tame. A friend suggested a Tegu, did a good amount of research but could not get one because I lived with the mother. Last year I moved out and was looking on kingsnake and found a Varnyard ad. I have to say Bobby you are the best. Thank you.
Now I am a tegu lover.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
About 2 years ago we had a couple of Bearded Dragons but were interested in something bigger but tame. At the White Plains show someone sold my wife and son a hatchling Savannah Monitor for $15. I did some research and found out they aren't the tamest critter in the world. Then we saw Rick Sisco's Tegu video (hadn't heard of Varnyard yet). I was thinking about buying one from him, but before I could suggest it to my wife she bought one we found at a local pet store. That started our addiction, now we have (3) Blues and a Red.

alewis0890

5 Year Member
I was keeping a variety of monitors a while back and though to myself.. "hey... I never had a tegu" sooooo red being my favorite color, I bought a red tegu

Mkulu

5 Year Member
My Blue from Dave is in the mail as we speak. YEAAAAA!!!
I have severe respiratory problems one of my kids inherited it from me, and my wife has Asthma. All of which can affected by dander and animal hair allergies. Almost all my kids cousins have family pets that they adore. We love animals but have always just thought we were out of luck. Then a search online for "pets for allergy sufferers". After searching thru hairless dogs and cats and deciding that would feel like petting a naked person on my lap, I came accross the thought of having reptiles. I originally thought "only weird people own reptiles". After a few months of research I thought, "PERFECT, I AM WEIRD, the only thing I am missing is a reptile"!!! I am facinated with their intelligence and the bond that so few people in the world have with these amazing animals. I CAN"T WAIT! Finishing my enclosure right now just waiting for the silicone to dry before some finishing touches.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mkulu said:
I originally thought "only weird people own reptiles". After a few months of research I thought, "PERFECT, I AM WEIRD, the only thing I am missing is a reptile"!!!
I think that goes for all of us!!!

Schnab

5 Year Member
The only lizard I've ever owned in the past was a leopard gecko I had gotten around my birthday. Due to problems that happened after forced me to give him up. A few years later I won a big cash prize and decided to get a snake.

I think it was last year when I first found out about tegus. I was just going threw google images until the picture of one showed up. I thought they looked nice so I did some research about them for months. The more I read up on them, the more I wanted to get one. It was very discouraging at first since I couldn't find anyone willing to ship me one, but my bf found a place in my province that sells some.

I plan on getting another one once I'm living on my own. I think I'd get a blue that time.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
Let's see......I was up at Bob Clark's place and saw the one he has. That really sparked my interest, so I started checking them out online. Researched them for a while and decided to wait. A few months passed and I stumbled upon Bobby Hill's website. I read through the info and watched the video's. It took me all of about 10 minutes to put a deposit on one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029