• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

why cant you cross

Bntegus

why cant you cross t.teguixin with t.merianae dont say size that doesn't matter male and female ether accept or they don't i have been thinking about this for along time. they have breed monitors from different parts of the world together don't really no why this would be worth anything but it would be something good to talk about not trying to start a war just thinking it would be cool. thanks billy.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's been discussed quite a bit but has yet been proven one way or the other,.. this is just one thread but there are others.

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=9886&page=4#axzz1qIV6uueZ

Dana C

I think I read in one of the earlier threads on this, which did get heated by the way, that when asked, knowledgeable biologists said that it may be possible but would require a lot of human intervention. I think that one said a female would have to be AI'd.
If I am not mistaken, in a few small areas, their habitats overlap in Paraguay and Southern Brazil. As far I have been able to determine, interbreeding in the wild has never occurred or at least has never been documented.
Of course I will stand corrected if anyone has heard of this actually happening and can document a creditable source.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Its hard to tell what animals care cross and others cannot. An example is a goat and sheep. A male goat is more than happy to mate with a female sheep and a female sheep would allow it but even if mating happens nothing happens. Its not without embryo slicing and recombination that you get a "geep".

Even if its not genetic it could be behavioral. Lions and Tigers territories historically use to overlap, and in a very small area today they still do. But a Liger or Tigon was never created until human's made it happen in captivity. Mainly because lions live in prides and often are social while tigers are solitary.

This question is asked a lot, why can't alligators and crocs cross? Why can reds, blues and blacks cross but not golds and Colombian?

Sorry for no direct answer but there is a lot of unknowns in genetics and hybrids.

Bntegus

they have crossed croc monitors with water monitors but the only problem was that all the born looked like one or the other. well to end these threads about them crossing i will try it does any no where i can get a large male t.teguixin thanks billy.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you have a link or any more info on the croc/water crosses? This is the first I have heard about this.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good luck on the cross, just make sure you are set-up to separate them in case things go wrong.

Bntegus

james.w said:
Do you have a link or any more info on the croc/water crosses? This is the first I have heard about this.

i read something about it along time ago cant remember where then the other day frank retes brought it up it was in a book i will look through some of my old books and papers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980