• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wild Tegus.

CAMILA LOPES

Hello! My name is Camila. I live in Florianopolis, Brazil. I have a tegu family friend! I live in a little farm, and on January my husband and I started to feed an adult tegu. By the time I did not even know its species designation, we called it just "the lizard"... Well, about September ( it's waking time) he begun to came near my place... And we fed him... Soon others came tio, smaller, I think they are females. Now they come every single day, and Babaduk- the big guy- awaits by my door step.

CAMILA LOPES

FB_IMG_1513286312882.jpg
FB_IMG_1513286312882.jpg
FB_IMG_1513286312882.jpg

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thats awesome to have actual wild living tegus visit you on a regular basis I hope you build up a good relationship and it will be so cool if they mate,have babies so you can interact with their babies as they grow....welcome by the way

CAMILA LOPES

Hi Camila- That is rally interesting! Having them there allows you to learn a lot about their biology. Have you thought fo noting such things as when they overwintered and woke up, if you see them mate, etc.?
Helo, Walter! The Babaduks live out side the little farm, you know, they come every day to my doorstep... For the meal... What I can say is that I did not see them from April to October. According to my recent research it's their hibernation, right?
About mating... No. As I told you, they live outside, however... There are smaller guys... Not only Baba and Lilandra. There's another about her size (Dart) and I think there's more.
It's really nice! But I have a problem, though: I believe I made them (Baba, mostly) misunderstand me for "kind of the meal girl", couple os days a go I went out with the meat dish to throw f him ( I wrongly use to through the meat near him, then closer and closer... To me) and he ran towards me, very rapidly and with his legs stretched upwards. It was scary! I yelled "no!", And he stopped about about 40cm from my bare feet! His mouth was shut, but that was quite scary! I went back inside and threw the meat from the window.
Then he stood by our car for hours, untill I recoverd courage and went out: "Baba! It's over, the meat is over for the day!" And he left!
They all come, now... One at the time, rarely together. My consern is about their aggressiveness. I'm aware that tegus are intelligent and cat-like... But my friends here are WILD! I want to pet them, but I'm afraid I've made a wrong move... Would you like to advise me? Thanks for the welcome!

CAMILA LOPES

Thats awesome to have actual wild living tegus visit you on a regular basis I hope you build up a good relationship and it will be so cool if they mate,have babies so you can interact with their babies as they grow....welcome by the way
Thank you, Alpha! I think it's grate! I only have to solve the "meat girl" little thing, now... Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Helo, Walter! The Babaduks live out side the little farm, you know, they come every day to my doorstep... For the meal... What I can say is that I did not see them from April to October. According to my recent research it's their hibernation, right?
About mating... No. As I told you, they live outside, however... There are smaller guys... Not only Baba and Lilandra. There's another about her size (Dart) and I think there's more.
It's really nice! But I have a problem, though: I believe I made them (Baba, mostly) misunderstand me for "kind of the meal girl", couple os days a go I went out with the meat dish to throw f him ( I wrongly use to through the meat near him, then closer and closer... To me) and he ran towards me, very rapidly and with his legs stretched upwards. It was scary! I yelled "no!", And he stopped about about 40cm from my bare feet! His mouth was shut, but that was quite scary! I went back inside and threw the meat from the window.
Then he stood by our car for hours, untill I recoverd courage and went out: "Baba! It's over, the meat is over for the day!" And he left!
They all come, now... One at the time, rarely together. My consern is about their aggressiveness. I'm aware that tegus are intelligent and cat-like... But my friends here are WILD! I want to pet them, but I'm afraid I've made a wrong move... Would you like to advise me? Thanks for the welcome!
Gladly, Camila. Many of us would love to be in your shoes!!! They, like alligators in the US, will quickly associate you for food and even as food. Therefore, you are best to feed them with tongs. This way they learn that tongs, not you, are or provide food. If they do something you like, gently tell them so. If they do something that you do not like, harshly yell “NO!!!” They will quickly learn the rules. They are very intelligent as you have seen.

viejo

5 Year Member
My 'gu' is quite gentle in accepting food but I still use tongs or a feeding dish for the reasons stated above. BTW: Is 'babaduk' a name used locally or your own name for them?

CAMILA LOPES

Thanks, Viejo! I'll try to use tongs. I can't use another dish or a dish somewhere else because when I wake up they are already waiting by my door.
"Babaduk" is the name that my husband choose for him, it comes from an Australian movie he liked.
In Brazil we ordinary call the lizards, "lagartos". The scaled guys are not so popular here... I only discovered they are "tegus" because I went through research.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks, Viejo! I'll try to use tongs. I can't use another dish or a dish somewhere else because when I wake up they are already waiting by my door.
"Babaduk" is the name that my husband choose for him, it comes from an Australian movie he liked.
In Brazil we ordinary call the lizards, "lagartos". The scaled guys are not so popular here... I only discovered they are "tegus" because I went through research.
I think you have something enriching by them.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Please, Walter speak more. .
It’s a wonderful thing to commune with nature. These beautiful and, as we would describe, intelligent and certainly interesting animals are trusting in such a way as forcyou ro be privy to how they live. Makes for more awareness and wnjoyment of thecworld around us and in us.

CAMILA LOPES

Agreed! Now I have to educate my wild friends for the fact that I'm not THE food, but a friend who happens to PROVIDE it. Wish me luck!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Agreed! Now I have to educate my wild friends for the fact that I'm not THE food, but a friend who happens to PROVIDE it. Wish me luck!
Absolutely! I think you'll do well. They respond to a soft voice, no sudden movements. they also do not like things approaching them from above. Keep updates!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980