• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worried about hibernating..he's not that big yet

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know why, but my baby male chacoan hasn't gotten that much bigger....I mean, he has grown lengthwise, but I don't think he's anywhere as big as he should be.

I believe he's trying to go into hibernation now. Up until a few day ago, he has been eating like a pig. He over the past few days has seemed to want to be left alone for the most part, and has been spending more time under the dirt, although not exclusively quite yet.

He gets plenty of UV, and usually gets several rodents several times a week, and has access to crickets almost 24/7, but I try to not leave too many in there when he's not actively hunting, as I don't want to stress him out.

I'm not sure exactly how long he is, but I put him on a dvd case for size reference. I took this today.

0913081321.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have some about the same size, and some that are bigger. Tegus grow in sperts, and it will not be long and he will be a monster, lol.

As for hibernating, I have some that have already started at this size.

jntann

5 Year Member
Hi everyone my tegu is is around 1 year old she was in a pet store and missed Hibernation and I {think female} is 40 inches long. and has just stoped eating everyday and is now only eating very little about once a week . i keep it in a outside encloser with a heated hide box with a uvb compact flour. lamp and a infra-red heat lamp. the uv lamp is on a timer only coming on in the day time the infrared is on a thermostat set at 70 degrees right now.
if she comes out in the day time she can get all the sun light she wants. she has not come out now for three days. I can open the hide box up from the top to check on her. I think I should turn the tempature down to about 60 if she hibernates. But my Question is what are the advantages or disavantages as to wether or not you let them hibernate. here are some pics.
100_2537.jpg
100_2394.jpg
100_2387.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you are not breeding, I see no reason to hibernate them, and I do not think they have any ill effects from not hibernating. I often wonder about Argentine tegus that are found in the Amazon River basin, and I would doubt they go into full hibernation there as they do in central Argentina. The same could be said about the Colombian tegus, they are found in central Argentina, and could not survive during winter without going dormant.

I would not drop the temps below 55*F if you are going to hibernate outside.

aerodan

5 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to *not* let them hibernate? I didn't know I had a choice, and figured if he was gonna do it, well, there it is... Is this a choice?

By the by: Bobby, the little Golden from my pet store was sent to Maria in PA - your advice helped to save her. Thanks again for being available even though it wasn't a tegu from you! You rock and much appreciated,

Best,
-AD

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
aerodan said:
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to *not* let them hibernate? I didn't know I had a choice, and figured if he was gonna do it, well, there it is... Is this a choice?

By the by: Bobby, the little Golden from my pet store was sent to Maria in PA - your advice helped to save her. Thanks again for being available even though it wasn't a tegu from you! You rock and much appreciated,

Best,
-AD

A tegu does not have to hibernate, but some will try regardless of what you do. If they get it in their mind to hibernate they are very hard to stop.

As for the shipping info, I was more then glad to help, I am glad to hear he made it safe. :)

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just so you not too worried DZ, here's a pic of my girl Rigan just before eating. They about the same size I'd say.
PICT0001-2.jpg

And here's Lainn my male.
PICT0002-1.jpg

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Just so you not too worried DZ, here's a pic of my girl Rigan just before eating. They about the same size I'd say.
PICT0001-2.jpg

Meep...my supposed male looks more like the size of your female....your male is much bigger.

I hope that it's a male...otherwise, that means I ended up with two females, which is a problem.

:/

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm not saying it's unhealthy, I'm just worried that it may have ended up being a female and not a male.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
olympus said:
Try feeding him more fuzzies like I do and see if his growth kicks up.

Unfortunately, I've only seen the male out of his own free will once this week. I'm pretty positive he's about to hibernate.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yarr, the female be out sunbathing today ^_^
Ye little boy be beneath the dirt again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980