• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worried about Lucky

ashesc212

5 Year Member
You may recall earlier posts of mine stating that Lucky was being treated with metronidazole for protozoa. He has had diarrhea for the past 6 months. In December & January he was treated with Panacur and that didn't help the problem. About two months ago we brought him back to the vet and they found the protozoa and treated him with two rounds of metronidazole. It still didn't work.

I decided to try a new vet for a second opinion. He found an abnormal amount of bacteria in Lucky's stools, but no parasites. This vet put him on a course of antibiotics and on recheck found that there was less bacteria. However, Lucky's problem still persisted so the vet checked his bloodwork and decided to continue with another antibiotic.

Well I just got the blood test results and he has KIDNEY AND LIVER PROBLEMS!!!!! This could be causing the diarrhea. Fortunately, the doctor said it's reversible but he'll need more medication. He also needs to continue with the antibiotics.

In the past few days, however, Lucky's poops have been looking somewhat better so I'm really clueless as to what is going on with him. I mean, at a glance he looks completely healthy and of course he is growing fast!

jmiles50

5 Year Member
Some doc's are obviously not as expierienced as other, and sometimes it's easy to overlook things. If this doc is a bit more expierienced, and found something the other doc didn't just go with it. Hey, that's why we get second opinions ;) Liver and kidney can be tough, so keep your head and hopes up :!: My advise is to be patient, never miss a medication dose, and keep up with the rechecks. Please keep us informed :!:

k412

5 Year Member
I'm not sure about reptiles but with mammals Metronidazole coats the interior lining of the stomach and may be the reason that the stools are firming up.
It acts as an anti inflammatory as well, in mammals that is.
I hope he gets better soon!
Good luck to you and Lucky!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
k412 said:
I'm not sure about reptiles but with mammals Metronidazole coats the interior lining of the stomach and may be the reason that the stools are firming up.
It acts as an anti inflammatory as well, in mammals that is.
I hope he gets better soon!
Good luck to you and Lucky!

Unfortunately the metronidazole didn't help with the stools this time around. That's why we have him on the antibiotic, which seems to be helping.

Thanks for your support everyone.

...and has anyone ever had a similar situation (esp. with the kidney/liver thing)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.