• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

worrisome behavior

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Hey, just got a new tegu yesterday and I think something's not right...

I noticed off the bat that he seemed pretty inactive. I first thought he was just tame, and then that maybe he's getting ready for hibernation. The petstore said he ate yesterday, and I tried feeding him again today. I gave him a little mix of raw ground turkey, egg, and banana (baby food). I warmed it up to nearly room temp. He ate some when I brought him to it, but then he stopped.

He started looking like he was trying to vomit something out, convulsing, and sticking his tongue out every few seconds. He's barely responding at all right now. Please help!

scarecrow

5 Year Member
nevermind
he died....

:cry:

I really don't understand...
I did everything exactly according to expert opinion as far as I can see....

jor71

5 Year Member
I am truly sorry to hear that he passwed away.

If you just got him, I do not think it was something you did to cause his death.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
im sorry to hear that :( i agree^ you only had him for 2 days, i do not think it was your fault, probably something that happened at the pet store.

olympus

5 Year Member
Sorry that happened. The same thing happened to me when I bought an alligator from a show, it sucks...

Gx3

5 Year Member
I'd take it back to the pet store. That isn't right.

Oh and I just looked at the pictures. That tegu has NOT been fed regularly and was sick. The base of the tegus tail should be nice and plump and his back should not arch like an upside down "V" like it was. That was not your fault, that was just an irresponsible pet store.

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Thanks everybody.

It's a relief to know it was the store's fault. Not that I don't still feel sick and irreparably disturbed, but now I know I'm right. I'm going to take him back to the store in a couple minutes with the pictures and pictures of my enclosure and plead my case. Thanks for the support.

Wish me luck.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
so whats the news? did the pet store give you a refund and admit they didnt care for the tegu right?

scarecrow

5 Year Member
They gave me an even replacement. I'll put up pics of him later. He looks a whole lot more robust and healthy. Knowing what a tegu is supposed to look like now, I feel sort of stupid. But hindsight is always 20/20

I wanted to give an account of the whole thing, because I learned some stuff from this experience, and maybe it will help others, too. Buyer beware:

Paz (spanish for peace, and may he rest in) died because of several mistakes. I don't think that the petstore is entirely to blame, or at least not the entire store... they are a well-respected supplier for reptiles, and I think the management staff is likewise trustworthy.

To begin, Paz at some point consumed substrate and got impacted. I expect because they were feeding them crickets in the enclosure with orchid bark... Lesson learned: especially when it's a young tegu, monitor the poor thing and feed it outside the enclosure. Ask if the seller has done likewise, and inspect the animal carefully otherwise.

When I went to the petstore I apparently got the inexperienced bunch of workers such that none could tell me off hand that Paz was acting extremely lethargic and looked completely the wrong color all over. Even the tongue was pale. Lesson learned: always look for pictures and descriptions of a healthy animal before venturing out to make a purchase.

Not knowing any of the signs of trouble, I went along feeding him per normal instead of trusting my worries and calling someone. This was the final nail in Paz's little coffin. I don't think I would have really done differently. If he didn't survive the first feeding, there was no way for me to really diagnose symptoms, not having the experience. But that was a lesson learned the hard way. And I'm now planning to take the new guy to the vet for an initial check up to avoid repeating this ever.

The assistant manager was knowledgeable as was the delinquint that gave me an unhealthy tegu. Both were also very helpful. The difference is that the assistant manager has experience dealing with the animal. Lesson learned: ALWAYS ask for the sales persons credentials regardless of how rude it comes off. If you have the slightest doubt, look for someone more experienced!

Hope that some newbies reading this can avoid the heartache I just went through.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My deepest condolences. I think most of us have at one time or another purchased a sick/dying animal and it's always disheartening when they don't pull through. Good luck with your new tegu and Pictures pictures pictures!

scarecrow

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29149#29149">http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29149#29149</a><!-- m -->

this is Zevi. He looks better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980