• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worst Smelling Tegu in the World

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
So, my Argentine b/w tegu is about 36 inches in total.. Ive had him since May.. and he makes the worst stink I have ever smelled in my life. Its so bad that my parents are trying to make me give him away (as I unfortunately still live home). His tank is downstairs and you can smell him everywhere in the entire house, including upstairs.. even in the porch as soon as you open the door.

I had a fecal done and it came back negative so I don't see what the problem is.
He eats raw meats such as beef, chicken hearts and gizzards, boiled egg occasionally, some fish and turkey, and a f/t mouse once a week. He doesn't really like fruit.
This is basically the same diet I give my Savannah monitor and he/she hardly smells at all.
Any ideas?

The captain

5 Year Member
Hey, Good to hear from you again!

My tegu is a stinker too. Your theory for why they smell is just like mine. My tegu usually doesnt poo every day. I give her a bath every other day and she goes in there every time. Maybe consider giving him a bath every day? This also allows you to clean the bedding less often. I have no smell in my small room, and the bathroom is really easy to clean up and febreeze.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
try getting a huge water dish.. i use a cat litter box (new) for the water dish and both my female and male tegus poo in it. it really helps hide the smell. also when fed eggs the poo is unbearable..

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
You're right!
I actually used to have the bottom of a litter pan in there and he pooped in there all the time.. I'd just dump it down the toilet and the smell would be gone! I totally forgot about that...I guess Im going to have to put that back in there for him!
Thanks!

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
Beef is another part of your problem. That stinks comming out and eggs as well. I fed mine chicken livers and it was watery and and it stunk. But I say beef. Right now mine is on either tilapia or ground turkey and grapes, nothingelse and the smell is neutral

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
i know exactly how you feel, my tegu Akira is about as long as yours is maybe a little longer but her poo makes me cringe when i first smell it lol BUT she poos in her water lol

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Jango poops in her feed box right after eating. She also gets a soak in the tub a couple times a week. Her poop is normal smelling (bad) as long as I don't feed her livers, liver poop is... well... like Tegu poop mixed with rotten livers..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me