• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Zero!

Chelsatron

Hello everybody! My name is Chelsea and i'm new to this site. I have a 31" Argentine Tegu named Zero. He's nice when he wants to be, but he hates getting touched, which is bad. He squirms like no tomorrow when you pick him up, and he runs to the opposite side of his cage when you go to get him. It's a pain to feed him since i can't get him out. I've been gentle but firm, and never have i disturbed him when he was sleeping/hiding. He's never bitten me, but his claws and thrashing are my main problems. Any advice for someone like me? Zero is my first tegu. I've had him for a month now.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Where did you get him from? What is your enclosure setup, size, temps, humidity, substrate, hides? What are you feeding and how often?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site :) thanks for coming and Congratulations on the new Gu. It can take time for them to come around and adjust to new things. You've only had him for a month so he's still getting settled in. Do you have any back ground info from the previous owner?

Sirhc401

Haha. You will learn quick that knowing all these details are a must when it comes to reptiles. It is best to specify them to give the best accurate answers for all your needs. :)

Chelsatron

james.w said:
Where did you get him from? What is your enclosure setup, size, temps, humidity, substrate, hides? What are you feeding and how often?

I bought him at the reptile expo. His enclosure is 5ft by 2ft, and his temperatures are 110 basking spot and 80 on the cool side. At night it drops to 75. His substrate is 3-4" of reptibark and I mist his cage every other day. He has one hide on the warm side, which he usually sits on and sits behind his big water bowl on the opposite side. He burrows before bed. I feed him 3 small mice every other day. :eek:
Bubblz Calhoun said:
Welcome to the site :) thanks for coming and Congratulations on the new Gu. It can take time for them to come around and adjust to new things. You've only had him for a month so he's still getting settled in. Do you have any back ground info from the previous owner?

thank you! :DD I understand he needs to settle in, but when the guy at the expo held him, he was fine >.< the owner said he might be flighty, but with patience it will go away.
martinreptiles_3 said:
Welcome :). Hope to see pictures soon :)

thanks! ^^ I'll upload some as soon as my camera gets fixed :'D

CrankbaitJedi

The non-biting but thrashing, squirmy, nails in the flesh action you are experiencing is just what Molloch (my large female) gives me. She is going on 3 years old and that is just how she is. I can pet her in the enclosure and she will come up to me for food but if I try to lift her... it is time for Thrash time. That is just her, has been from the beginning. She doesn't tail whip anymore so that is good, but she does not like being picked up. Sometimes, regardless of our efforts, they are going to be what they are. And that is Ok, not all large lizards are going to be lap lizards.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ditto ^ ^ ^ . It happens all too often where animals are calm and fine at the store or expo. But when you get them home and they start to get settled in and warmed up it's just the opposite. Even if they're fine the first few months to a year then you see the other side,.. patience and work through it.

Tegasaurus

Chelsatron said:
Hello everybody! My name is Chelsea and i'm new to this site. I have a 31" Argentine Tegu named Zero. He's nice when he wants to be, but he hates getting touched, which is bad. He squirms like no tomorrow when you pick him up, and he runs to the opposite side of his cage when you go to get him. It's a pain to feed him since i can't get him out. I've been gentle but firm, and never have i disturbed him when he was sleeping/hiding. He's never bitten me, but his claws and thrashing are my main problems. Any advice for someone like me? Zero is my first tegu. I've had him for a month now.

Hello Chelsatron.. This is very common new reptile behavior. Now, you will need to get his behavior under control. First, I would recommend getting gloves. Some kind of glove that will prevent you from getting scratched and if need be, prevent injury from a bite... Now you will be ready to battle..lol.

If the initial acclimation period is over, say a few weeks or so.. Now the training should begin..You will need to just start picking him up when it is time to eat.. If you have the gloves, it should not be a worry. Also, you can practice picking him up and putting him in the feeding tote (even when it is not dinner time) and then putting him right back in the tank. Although it is good to be understanding and not rough with them..your tegu needs to understand that you are the boss and that he is the pet..sometimes it takes a while to develop this owner/pet relationship.

On the negative side, I would like to add that some animals just naturally have attitudes, they will always be somewhat wild, just maybe a little more tame as they age. However, since yours is a baby, there is a really good chance that he will become very tame if enough time is spent with him. I hope this was helpful.

Rob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me