• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Zilla needs I diet

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hi

I was just wondering how to get my tegu to eat something other than ground turkey.

I didnt feed her for a few days to get her hungry, and then tried to give her some egg, bannana, strawberries, chicken, and a cherry. But she didnt want any of it.

Then I put down some ground turkey and she gobbled it up in seconds.

Any ideas how to get her to eat something else?

tommyboy

It just takes some time. I used to rub a new food in the turkey to get the smell on it. It helped alot. Now they eat whatever is in front of them!

Lynda

Mine only liked turkey until I gave her small whole fish - silver sliders. She'll down 4 with dinner.

Orion

5 Year Member
Mix fish oil with the ground for a couple of weeks. Then introduce other foods with some fish oil mixed in, after a while it all tastes the same. Mine pick out the strawberries and fling them across the cage.

Another trick. At one point in time when my Tegus got picky I started using the extra blood from the containers of chicken livers, I would coat everything they ate with the blood after a while they would eat everything in the bowl and lick up the blood.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I havent acualy tried whole prey yet. She doesnt seem big enough yet to eat anyhting becides pinky mice, and I heard they werent very nutricious.

Thank you for all the sugestions. Is turkey alone a bad diet? I do use calcium and vitamin powder.

Also, in the title of this thread, its suposed to be an 'A' not an 'I'.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me