• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Zilla still has bad shed, HELP

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hello,

Zilla is still going through a bad shed and I dont know what to do for her. Its been going on for a while. I peel more off every day, but her skin is grey and flakey all over her body. There are scraps of shed everywhere. Most of it is soft and looselike, but there are other patches that are all hard. You can see dead scales all over her. Also, her skin on her shoulders and sides and jowels is extreemly tender, and very soft.

I would post pictures but it doesnt come up with my camera. I can only try to describe it. It almost seems like a skin problem and not shed related.

Her diet is mostly ground turkey, but I dust it with calcium and vitamins. She wont eat anyhting else. Her cage is fine on all accounts except the humidity. Its ony at about 50% and I cant get it any higher.

I give her lots of baths, and I rub her skin with vegitable oil, and vitamin a&d cream. The cream says its for baby diaper rash, but it was the only vitamin a&d stuff I could find.

Im really scared for her. Please only respond with helpfull info and not how Im raiseing her wrong.

Thank you,
Adam

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I will try lots of baths, upping it to 2 a day. Is is all right to give a tegu pills? I was thinking of putting cod liver oil pills in her food.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just cut the pill open and squeeze the contents on the food. Try and get her to eat fruits. You can blend them in with the ground turkey.

Here is a trick used for snakes, get a rubbermaid tub drill/solder holes for ventilation. Wet a towel with warm water and put the tegu in the tub with the towel. If possible place under a basking light to keep it warm. The humidity will be very high in the tub and the towel will help remove the shed if the tegu moves around. I used this on a Green Tree Python and it worked amazingly. I folded the towel and put the snake "inside" the towel to make sure he was rubbing against something on all sides if he moved.

Ujarak

One of my reds goes through this every once in a while and i find i find the best thing that helps is natural sunlight.. if you can find a way to get him a few hours of basking time outside while doing everything else here it will probably help.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Thank you for the ideas. My home is surrounded by trees so there isnt much direct sunlight through any of my windows, and she is still to small to take outside. Maybe she is big enough for a leash. She is almost a year od.

With the humid hide idea, if I place it under her basking lamp, wont that dry out the towel? Do I keep on watering it? Also, she really likes wandering around and exploring, so should I put her in there at night while she sleeps? Otherwise she might panic during the day.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I am useing cyprus mulch. But really she is outside her cage more than she is in her cage. She really likes to explore so I let her out a lot.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What I am talking about is not a humid hide. You have to put her in the box and leave her for at least 12 hours. Is her health or the fact you think she likes to be out exploring more important?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me