• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Basking Spot?

corruptphantasm

im getting a argentine B&W within a week or so and my basking spot is only reaching like 102f its a 100w zoomed reptihallogen aprox. 17in from the rock could this work for now or should i go buy a higher wattage i dont really wanna waste this bulb i wana wait till i need a new one to buy a higher wattage but i will buy one if i have to.

corruptphantasm

james.w said:
Can you lower the bulb or raise the basking spot?

my basking rock is like 40 pounds i dont know how i could really raise it without risking something ending bad for my tegu and the light is mounted to the ceiling so not really a option

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah. A 150W should work. Especially with the cage as big as it is, a higher watt will also help with ambients.

corruptphantasm

what type of bulb should i get and also i have no night time type of heat but i got up and checked my temps and it was like 75 so thats good but im kinda worried about my uvb bulb the one i have is a reptisun 10.0 but its like 22 in from the basking spot idk what to do

corruptphantasm

im not familiar with mvb bulbs will it provide extra uvb?
and heres some pics so you can get a better idea too.

Attachments

• IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0404.jpg
    IMAG0404.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0405.jpg
    IMAG0405.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've used and been happy with both the ZooMed PowerSun and ExoTerra SolarGlo.

If you wanted to continue to use the bulb you already have, you could put a 2x4 between the ceiling and light fixture to lower the bulb. Also lower the current UVB bulb/fixture you already have.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
corruptphantasm said:
so i think im gunna get this

and thanks for the suggestion on how to lower the light

That is the bulb I am using in my Tegus enclosure.

In one of my enclosures I went even further and hooked chains to a 2x4 and to the ceiling so I can raise and lower the bulb as needed.

corruptphantasm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone im gunna get the powersun but i dont have the money to get one rate now hes shipping tomorrow and i need the money i got for the food i found some 2x6 im guna try and lower the light ill upload some pics later it should work for now till i can afford a fancy mvb bulb

corruptphantasm

ok i lowerd the light but im still not getting right temps its actually LOWER?!?! so im like wow ok so i changed the batterys in my temp gun still getting the same readings so my brothers light "you got 2 more bulbs why not put another one in the other socket" (cause i have to sockets mount the other is for a che but i ended up not neading one) so i put another light in and that ones like 10x brighter and its reaching 107-108 im and its in the socket thats not lowerd so now i got both on and imma see what my temps read in a lil bit rate now the lower light is 101-102 the higher one is still 107-108 and my cool sides at like 85ish

Anyone got any ideas should i leave both?

Attachments

• IMAG0404.jpg
    IMAG0404.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0407.jpg
    IMAG0407.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0405.jpg
    IMAG0405.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0409.jpg
    IMAG0409.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It will probably get too hot with both bulbs. I would double check the wiring on the fixtures and see if there are any problems.

seahawkchick22

We have the solar glo 160w and its perfect for our Tegu sits about the same distance .. we had the same problem with ours so we doubled up and had his night light on too but found it was too hot for him. He would throw fits and start trashing his tank until we turned off his night light and just left on his basking bulb and he settles right down and relaxes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980