• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black Throat Monitor Babies

dorton

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
LOL Maybe we can come up with one that suits my personality. LOL Now that would be funny.Maybe I'll just call it Rats ,Reptiles and Reefer. LOL Those are my favorite hobbies. LOL

:lol:

There's LLL Reptile, so I don't see why RRR wouldn't work, but if you
did that, it would have to be pronounce like Tim Allen's Tool Time
"arr arr arr" !

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
My sick sense of humor was turned on this morning. Maybe Smokies Reptile and Rodent Emporium. LOL LOL I spend 90% of my time at home. I get bored . I see the world through the reptiles I keep. My reptile hobby is mainly to just take up time. My habits keep me sane from all the boredom. LOL I'm not dangerous just misunderstood. LOL

hoosier

5 Year Member
they get big but nothing compared to what the water monitor im getting gets to muhahaha!lol
heres a pic for reference:
liard210.jpg

and this isnt even as big as they get!!!

hoosier

5 Year Member
No issue here. :twisted: lol but i want a dog size creature that dosnt bark, no fur and i just happen to LOVE monitors. lol plus waters can be known to be one of the tamest monitors.

G

Thank you for posting that picture. Desiree keeps hounding me about getting a BT night and day. I want a Ball Python and she demands a black throat. My friend has one that is not that big but is very tame (for a monitor). Definitely not the same as a tegu, but fairly well behaved.

hoosier

5 Year Member
i think that monitors sometimes get a bad rap. they can be quite tame with alot of handling. but others are really agressive. but i just love them for what hey are. :)

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hoosier said:
i think that monitors sometimes get a bad rap. they can be quite tame with alot of handling. but others are really agressive. but i just love them for what hey are. :)

Glad you love them for what they are. I hate it when someone won't accept that their monitor just ISN'T a lap dog, so they treat it like crap until it "loves" them.....

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Water Monitors are my next purchase. I can't wait till I can afford to get them. I am going to go to nothing but Monitors before too much longer. I love them.

dorton

5 Year Member
Are you getting out of snakes all together?
I'd love to have some monitors,but I don't think i'd try to tame them. I'd like to have some with thier instincts intact. They are awesome animals, but don't think I'd want one that big in my lap!!

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I am going to sell off several. I have always been a lizard person any way. Don't get me wrong. I really like keeping snakes . Lizards are more inteligent and exciting. LOL Chameleons are my over all favorite. If you want a lizard that is as smart as a parrot. Get a Chameleon. The big Melleri are what I like along with Veileds. I can't name all the chameleons I like. It would take too long.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I've kept and still keep several species of monitors including whitethroats, crocs, argus, bluetails, peachthroats, black roughnecks, niles, timors, waters, and dumerils. Currently I have 2 Argus, a Whitethroat, and a Dumerils here at home. Over the last several years I've totally changed my ideas and habits as far as monitor keeping. It is so much more rewarding and interesting watching a monitor display natural behaviors rather than having one that has been beaten down and the spark of life removed by constant stress and handling.

I've had my Dumerils for 15 months and I've had my hands on it exactly twice...the day it arrived and the day I upgraded it to a larger enclosure. This animal has been a treat to watch come out of it's shell, gradually learning to trust my presence, and go from hiding the minute I enter the room to tripoding for food as soon as I enter.

I have plenty of other animals that I can handle on a daily basis that react well to such close interaction but the monitors I enjoy most when they are just being monitors. :)

hoosier

5 Year Member
Mike said:
hoosier said:

Glad you love them for what they are. I hate it when someone won't accept that their monitor just ISN'T a lap dog, so they treat it like crap until it "loves" them.....

i wont do that. i love their natural behaviors. if its "tame" then awsome. but if its not, ohwell. lol

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hoosier said:
Mike said:
hoosier said:

i wont do that. i love their natural behaviors. if its "tame" then awsome. but if its not, ohwell. lol

Great to know. :)

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Here's a monster monitor I found on another forum. This fellow is just obese. He'll probably have a shortened lifespan because he's so overweight.
30216BlackThroatjumbo.jpg

COWHER

5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
Here's a monster monitor I found on another forum. This fellow is just obese. He'll probably have a shortened lifespan because he's so overweight.
30216BlackThroatjumbo.jpg

Kinda like me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: lmao

greentriple

5 Year Member
I'm not trying to start an argument. But, could not the same be said about Tegus? That is ..."display natural behaviors rather than having one that has been beaten down and the spark of life removed by constant stress and handling."

My Tegu will most often run and hide when his cage is approached. On occasion he does not and I can remove him. He does not attack, but is clearly uncomfortable with being picked up, regardless of how gentle I do it. He prefers to be let down to roam, but will not run from me if I approach him when he is outside his enclosure, however he is clearly not "happy" when I pick him up. I think you get the picture.

Anyway, are we breaking some of their spirit or " spark of life" with all the handling and "taming"? Are we forever altering them by tying to breed them into "dog tame" reptiles?

Just questions. What do you all think?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me