• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Breeding at Varnyard Herps, EGGS!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great news guys, if you ordered an Extreme Giant tegu or a Normal Argentine tegu, they are now in the incubator. I still have a few normals yet to lay and I am still waiting on the Reds and All Americans to lay, this is not really unusual as the reds are always later than the rest. I have 409 eggs in the incubator and still have several females yet to go.

Now please do not mass email me asking what clutch yours is going to be out of and when the exact date is going to be on your tegu. I do not have any help this season and I am doing everything myself, last year I had hired help. I really don't have the time to add this to my plate this season; you are going to get an email when your baby hatches requesting the balance. When you get the email you will know that you have three weeks before getting your new baby.

Thanks, Bobby :)

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats to a great start on the breeding season, cant wait to see pics of the new babies this season

hanniebann

5 Year Member
So psyched! Anyone know if we get notification the day before they ship or anything? Cause I'll need to take a day (or two) off work to make sure someone is there to receive the package.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hanniebann said:
So psyched! Anyone know if we get notification the day before they ship or anything? Cause I'll need to take a day (or two) off work to make sure someone is there to receive the package.

I will not ship a live animal without contacting the person first.

adam1120

OMGGGGGGGGGGG just got backfrom out of town and read this late im soooooooo exciteddddd my terance is on the way soon:DDD if hes really dark in color if not name changes:D

Maro1

Cant wait. Last year I got a Extreme from Bobby and even though he semi hibernated he is growing and huge! This year a B&W

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
WildlifeLover429 said:
how long does it usually take for eggs to hatch?

Here ya go!
Varnyard: I have heard of incubation times of 40 days to 120 days, but this is the time I have recorded with four different clutches. It would also depend on the temperature, a hotter temperature would tend to cause them to hatch faster, but the babies would be less healthy. Also at a cooler temperature the eggs would hatch slower. However I think 120 days is way off on time. I read this in a book, but I found this information hard to believe.
Babies need to be removed as soon as they hatch. They need to be offered some food as soon as they hatch. Hatchlings will sometimes start to feed within hours of hatching. Others will feed the following day. I offer medium crickets to fresh hatchlings; they seem to take these best. You will also need to have two different tanks set up for the hatchlings; some hatchlings might be smaller and less active. These will need to be removed and placed in a different tank then the larger more active babies. I use a 20-gallon long tank for hatchlings. This is a great starter tank. I put a heat lamp with a 65-watt bulb at one end. I also use a UVB, UVA strip light on top.

And he says three weeks after they hatch in the first post.
adam1120 said:
does anyone now when around they be shipped anyone order one last year?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Shipping should start in mid July or closer toward the end a few weeks after the babies begin to hatch, i really hope i can get 2 female b/w's this season lol, last season they sold out really fast, all except the giants

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029