• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can Somebody Please Help Me Out So My Dad doesnt get pissed

bfb345

It's soil with little creatures that live in a constantly process the soil and keep it clean. And they don't harm your animals and you don't have to change the substrate

Deac77

5 Year Member
It's soil with little creatures that live in a constantly process the soil and keep it clean. And they don't harm your animals and you don't have to change the substrate

Half right here lol

Bio active substrate literally means its alive, I took it from a remote location with little (or in my case) to no contact with people reall (mine came off my land a portion we don't use) it already has bacteria and small organism in it to break down feces, then I added a small colony of dubia roaches (they burrow) and other cleaners like pill bugs, silverfish, ect, and leave it for about a week, then add the animal.

Holds burrows, is free ;P, and cleans itself, earthworms don't work that well because they need really cool temps but mealworms, super worms work nicely

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Oh ok. So earthworms wouldn't cut it then... i can't put roaches...they'd get out and into my home :( very cool though. Nature indoors :)

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
thats the best idea ever! i think i might make it into my bed! thank you very much for youre excelent advice.
You're very welcome. I can't take credit for the original bed idea. Someone on a thread somewhere here did it. I'm sure you could create a modified bunk bed or similar structure fairly easily. And the mattress on top. My only thought was that the heat from enclosure 'might ' be uncomfortable in summer months but I could be wrong. Not sure if it would actually penetrate a good 'bunk board ' and mattress. Make sure you show us your progress if you decide to do this! Would love to see it! :)

viejo

5 Year Member
You're very welcome. I can't take credit for the original bed idea. Someone on a thread somewhere here did it. I'm sure you could create a modified bunk bed or similar structure fairly easily. And the mattress on top. My only thought was that the heat from enclosure 'might ' be uncomfortable in summer months but I could be wrong. Not sure if it would actually penetrate a good 'bunk board ' and mattress. Make sure you show us your progress if you decide to do this! Would love to see it! :)
My bed is atop my tegu's quarters. The enclosure is 36" from the floor up. Heat is not a problem with my setup, the mattress apparently offers adequate insulation.

My bed is atop my tegu's quarters. The enclosure is 36" from the floor up. Heat is not a problem with my setup, the mattress apparently offers adequate insulation.
hello viejo, how strong is your enclosure? because i want to make extra sure i dont crush my sav

ya i could put insulation stuff under my matress, but i actually loooooove the heat! i have no idea why. and ya ill definately make sure to update you guys

Ok i think this is what i might do. im going to first build the enclosure regularly, then im going to make a bed frame and attatch it to the roof of the enclosure and hold it up with 4x4 posts. Does this sound like a good idea?

well i figure the bed frame should be enough support since it usually can support someone whose like 200 lb and im only 130 lb, but the difference is is that the dimentions are going to be slighlty different, but i dont think that should be a problem, but i also know nothing about building hahah

bfb345

What i would do if I were you is I would make the bed frame like a foot higher than you want the cage then you could also use the top of the cage as a table that you can put stuff on top of and then you wouldn't have to worry about the bed being right on top of it

What i would do if I were you is I would make the bed frame like a foot higher than you want the cage then you could also use the top of the cage as a table that you can put stuff on top of and then you wouldn't have to worry about the bed being right on top of it
Wow i like that idea alot! because i always have a huge amount of stuff that i need for feeding, maitnence, bulbs, etc.. and that would be a perfect spot

Or somebody also gave me the idea to make a strong frame then put the ply wood sheets over the frame and that should be strng enough to hold the bed

viejo

5 Year Member
hello viejo, how strong is your enclosure? because i want to make extra sure i dont crush my sav
Mine has a 2x4 frame with 6 uprights & a reinforcing steel crosspiece in the center, under the mattress. It is covered with 1/2" plywood. I weigh over 200# & everything is holding up nicely.
A 4x4 frame would provide more strength but the 2x4s seem to be more than adequate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980