• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can Somebody Please Help Me Out So My Dad doesnt get pissed

I have a baby sav. My mom knows that hes gonna get huge but my dad doesnt. So we kind of want to let him know slowly. If i build an 8x4x4 in my room hes going to bug out. So my plan is to build a 6x3x4, and then in a year or so add on the other parts to make it an 8x4x4. Because this way when my dad sees the 6x3x4 hes going to freak out but not so much because thats not half my room. And then in a year when he finaly gets used to it im going to add the rest to make it 8x4x4 since hes already use to the fact that my room is half shared by a lizzard (poor my dad). But my qeustion is will i be able to add on the 6x3x4 to make it 8x4x4 and still be strong enough to hold to ft of substrate?

Deac77

5 Year Member
Personally I'd just go with the 8x4x4 I understand not wanting to freak out the dad but think how fast the animal will grow, a healthy sav can put on over a inch a week in the first 6-8 months of life and even after its still very fast!

Personally I'd just go with the 8x4x4 I understand not wanting to freak out the dad but think how fast the animal will grow, a healthy sav can put on over a inch a week in the first 6-8 months of life and even after its still very fast!
Ya thats probably a good call, somI have a baby sav. My mom knows that hes gonna get huge but my dad doesn't. So we kind of want to let him know slowly. If i build an 8x4x4 in my room hes going to bug out. So my plan is to build a 6x3x4, and then in a year or so add on the other parts to make it an 8x4x4. Because this way when my dad sees the 6x3x4 hes going to freak out but not so much because thats not half my room. And then in a year when he finaly gets used to it im going to add the rest to make it 8x4x4 since hes already use to the fact that my room is half shared by a lizzard (poor my dad). But my qeustion is will i be able to add on the 6x3x4 to make it 8x4x4 and still be strong enough to hold to ft of substrate? times ill look at him in the morning and ill swear he grew a noticeable amount over night! i think he like tripples his size in two months, but you dont think ill be able to get the 6x3x4, and then just add 2x4's (to the 3x4 sides), and 2x8's (to the 3x6 ceiling and floor)? sorry that probobably sounded confusing

bfb345

I dont know it sounds very complicated and I'm sure your dad will be just fine with it ( I could be wrong) but if he loves you he'll understand and if you build the 8 ft he may see that you know how to care for the animal properly and for its best help and be may help you out and it will make it easier on both of you

Deac77

5 Year Member
Adding on to a cage calm easily weaken it, heck just moving them around does, it seems like a lot of work and a risky deal, I mean 2 foot of substrate pouring into the ground sheesh!

bfb345

Yeah savs go fast and I would just go with the 8 footer and get it over with your dad is just going to have to cope with it I'm sure he will be alright with it.

bfb345

Yeah savs grow fast and I would just go with the 8 footer and get it over with your dad is just going to have to cope with it I'm sure he will be alright with it.

bfb345

but wouldnt i have to change the substrate somtime anyways?
What he means is that the joint between the two cages could and will most likely break due to the amount of substrate and the you will not only have 2x6 feet of substrate on your floor and a lizard in your room somewhere or in your house which is not going to be cool with your dad lol

hahaha! ohhh thats what you mean, i thought you meant cuz id have to change it. But ya thats a good point my dad would not want alot of dirt and sand all over the floor

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah... i'd have to agree. Bite the bullet. Just build it and maybe try to 'incorperate ' it into the scheme of the room. I have heard of 'table ' type enclosures or even ones you could make into a bed! Be creative to make the most of whatever space you may 'lose '. :)

bfb345

Yeah agreed with bat girl if you could make it into some type of furniture that has multiple uses your dad will be much more willing even if you could make your bed taller and just put it underneath it anything to help with the space issue

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I use peat and spot clean and sometimes turn the soil over. So far haven't had to change it but I'm sure I'll have to eventually though. What do you use that doesn't need changing? Sounds cool

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I was actually thinking of getting some earthworms for this purpose. Another member was talking about it. But wasn't sure if they'd survive without some type of 'food ' other than crap. Haha. Plus not sure i'd want to leave tegu crap in there instead of spot cleaning :/ but just figured the worms might at least turn the soil for me and maybe give niles something interesting to play with/eat. Haha

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Roaches are that way right? However my enclosure isn't tightly sealed and i wouldn't want them escaping into my home

bfb345

I'm not sure I also just heard about the bio soil stuff I would see my tegu eating the earthworm lol he eats anything

Yeah... i'd have to agree. Bite the bullet. Just build it and maybe try to 'incorperate ' it into the scheme of the room. I have heard of 'table ' type enclosures or even ones you could make into a bed! Be creative to make the most of whatever space you may 'lose '. :)
thats the best idea ever! i think i might make it into my bed! thank you very much for youre excelent advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980