• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Extreme Giant Seizure, front legs paralyzed!!!

apocalypse910

SuperSkylar - No one here is denying that you care about your animals. With issues like these husbandry issues need to be discussed and when you ask for advice, then deny possibilities out of hand we all have a tendency to go on the offensive.

I know from personal experience that considering the possibility of keeper error in a situation like this is very painful - it is, however, critical to take yourself out of the equation and focus on being as honest in your answers, and as open minded as possible. I'm not going to say that this is a husbandry error, or a calcium issue, none of us can make that call over the internet - but these are all possibilities that need to be addressed in detail not just hand-waved away as ruled out.

That being said I think it is time that we all focus on the tegu.

I've read, and re-read all your posts and I have to admit that I am confused . If I understand correctly you are posting details about both your current cage, and the future cage which may have muddled the waters considerably. It may help clarify to go through only the details of your current setup alone.

As several people have posted I think exposure to a toxin is a possibility - d3 over-supplementation would be the first thing that comes to mind. You posted your typical diet but has there been anything unusual in the last few days?

Can you describe your supplementation - how often are you using calcium? Are you using a multi-vit and how often? what brand/type of calcium are you using? Has he been out at all, any possibility of him getting in to something while free roaming?

I think the key thing is to get him to a vet ASAP - There are simply too many possibilities and this seems exceedingly serious. Please don't wait to get him in.

I have a baby extreme as well and I can't imagine what you are going through - I really hope she makes a full recovery.

SuperSkylar

-I don't know it currently, am away from my apartment.
-The tank is 2' tall x 2' tall x 8' long I believe. I don't remember exactly, I've had it for like 5 years.
- Good question lol, I didnt even think of that haha. I guess sometimes you have to take a step back to see the simple things.

apocalypse910 said:
SuperSkylar - No one here is denying that you care about your animals. With issues like these husbandry issues need to be discussed and when you ask for advice, then deny possibilities out of hand we all have a tendency to go on the offensive.

I know from personal experience that considering the possibility of keeper error in a situation like this is very painful - it is, however, critical to take yourself out of the equation and focus on being as honest in your answers, and as open minded as possible. I'm not going to say that this is a husbandry error, or a calcium issue, none of us can make that call over the internet - but these are all possibilities that need to be addressed in detail not just hand-waved away as ruled out.

That being said I think it is time that we all focus on the tegu.

I've read, and re-read all your posts and I have to admit that I am confused . If I understand correctly you are posting details about both your current cage, and the future cage which may have muddled the waters considerably. It may help clarify to go through only the details of your current setup alone.

As several people have posted I think exposure to a toxin is a possibility - d3 over-supplementation would be the first thing that comes to mind. You posted your typical diet but has there been anything unusual in the last few days?

Can you describe your supplementation - how often are you using calcium? Are you using a multi-vit and how often? what brand/type of calcium are you using? Has he been out at all, any possibility of him getting in to something while free roaming?

I think the key thing is to get him to a vet ASAP - There are simply too many possibilities and this seems exceedingly serious. Please don't wait to get him in.

I have a baby extreme as well and I can't imagine what you are going through - I really hope she makes a full recovery.
Thank you for keeping an open mind. When I get home, and am on my computer. I will address all of your questions/statements.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Even 8x2x2 is a bit on the small side due to the only 2' width, it would work for a short time, but I would get started on building an adult enclosure ASAP.

jumper123

I agree with everyone except, as I do feel the enclosure is way to small, I don't think that is the reason this unfortunate event happened. These animals are pretty hardy, provided the MAJOR things are in check (lights,food,cage,heat,humidity) so it probably is something along those lines. Don't get defensive, its just from everyone's experience. My baby died 2 years ago after having a weird "seizure" then going completely paralyzed in his hind legs. I did a post mort. radiograph and he pretty much had no bones, he was translucent (MBD) even though he felt hard and acted perfectly fine (no twitches, ate great etc), tegus tend to hide health issues (survival of the fittest) I only had my baby for 3 days.. I was just too late.

jumper123

A private and otherwise shady pet store in the area.. I bought 2 of them for 30 dollars. I really just wanted to try and save them especially since they were trying to sell them as columbians and there was no uvb on them when I bought them, they were quite small maybe 5 or 6in and very green.

SuperSkylar

james.w said:
Even 8x2x2 is a bit on the small side due to the only 2' width, it would work for a short time, but I would get started on building an adult enclosure ASAP.

Ok, I can't respect your opinion anymore. So a young Tegu that is a foot, or even 2 feet is all tail... And that tank is too small for the babies. Smh, I am actually shocked at your opinion.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you not read?? I said it is a bit on the small side and would work for a short time. It doesn't matter if he is all tail, think about the animal for once and quit trying to prove that you know what you are doing. I already know better.

jumper123

They are pretty active as babies.. I had my 18in male in 7lx4wx3h. however I also couldn't give him much exercise running around like my free range females. if this was a bearded dragon a smaller cage would be suitable. I believe James is just trying to give you the ideal picture of what your baby should be in for maximum health. A very large enclosure gives you plenty of room to work with gradual heat changes and if you can't get to play with your gu for a day they will be ok in a large cage..although from personal experience they ALWAYS want out.

SuperSkylar

jumper123 said:
They are pretty active as babies.. I had my 18in male in 7lx4wx3h. however I also couldn't give him much exercise running around like my free range females. if this was a bearded dragon a smaller cage would be suitable. I believe James is just trying to give you the ideal picture of what your baby should be in for maximum health. A very large enclosure gives you plenty of room to work with gradual heat changes and if you can't get to play with your gu for a day they will be ok in a large cage..although from personal experience they ALWAYS want out.

I agree, it would be ideal for some 10 foot cube with a tree and pond and what not. Sadly, we can't all do that. I just think its ludacris that anyone would even suggest that the tank is too small for a baby or young adult.
When I am back home, I will post pics of the new cage I build. And answer your questions.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just to give you an idea my All American was 42" at a year old (not even a young adult) and a 8*2*2 would be WAY too small for a tegu of his size.

SuperSkylar

Hey guys, should I give them a viewing window or no?

james.w said:
Just to give you an idea my All American was 42" at a year old (not even a young adult) and a 8*2*2 would be WAY too small for a tegu of his size.

Do all Americans have giantism? Or did you just think it was a year old. Because I have never heard nor seen of a Tegu being that large at that age... :/

There, 4'x4' tank. Now to put the floor in.

Attachments

• IMAG0530.jpg
    IMAG0530.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 27

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
42" at a year for a male tegu is not unheard of, even some blue males can get that big that fast. It depends on diet, if they hibernate and general genetics, but AA's have giant blood in them. Tegus grow fast! I think this is a point people skip on fast. I think that's why James keeps saying the other tank was small, they will be close to full grown before you know it.

How is the tegu doing?

SuperSkylar

I had a yearling that was more like 30 inches, but it hibernated

TALK ABOUT LOVE AND KEEPING ABILITY! PUT THIS SUCKER UP FASTER THAN YOU CAN SAY "TOO SMALL"!! Lol

Attachments

• IMAG0531.jpg
    IMAG0531.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0532.jpg
    IMAG0532.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0533.jpg
    IMAG0533.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0534.jpg
    IMAG0534.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 28

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know he was a yearling, I got him from Varnyard and he hatched 8-1-2010.

Enclosure looks pretty good (very temporary) but good size. Now some hides, water bowl, and a way to keep humidity up (unless you live somewhere humid) and you should be good.

SuperSkylar

Put the water bowl in. Got umidity up. Will do the hides tomorrow.
Temporary? Yea, I mean its not glass... But technically speaking, this is much more acurate to where they would be in nature than glass/acrylic, being wood fiber
Lol, and not even a "good job" hahaha. Man some people.. "YOUR POOR ANIMAL!!!", you build them a monsterous enclosure probably bigger than 90% of the peoples on here, n its just what ever.. sure you care about the animals, n not just feeling right. :/

Orion

5 Year Member
Your Tegu sounds like it needs whole prey items, ie mice. Always use pre killed mice never live.
I had the what sounds close to the same issue with one of my Tegus. She got better and is 100% good now. She had been impacted from eating mulch. She had surgery to remove the impaction. She was getting worse after surgery, while she could not eat solid foods. The vet diagnosed MBD and the vet was even giving her liquid calcium, and she was not getting better. She was dragging her front legs for a month, I even gave up hope that she would be normal again. I did not think she would get better. I left the country for a month and my friend was taking care of her. We talked once a week. She was getting back on solid foods then and my friend said she was starting to use her front legs. He increased the mice to once every 3 days instead of once a week. It took some time but she recovered. I gave up using any kind of calcium after seeing the results of the vet getting nowhere even using the liquid calcium. I have not used any calcium supplements in over 2 years and all 3 of my Tegus are very healthy.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good luck with your tegus Skyler. You don't seem to want advice, but rather to hear everything you are doing is perfect. Sorry to break your heart, but your care is quite a bit below average.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029