• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Florida Tegus wanted.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Since early 1990s to now I've kept green iguanas. I get them and really like them. A few yeRs back I began with Argies in both research (I'ma herpetologist) and care. I really enjoy keeping them, so when I see someone like you that is interested in keeping them, I'm glad to share what I know.

did it come up. I've tried before but I couldn't get it

Attachments

• WP_20160103_19_50_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160103_19_50_05_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is it possible that you have a Columbians? Teguixin not merrianae.

Not seeing the two loreal scales of an Argie.

If Columbian, fine achievement of tameness.

he's SOOOOOOOO relaxed like a puppy dog. He always wants to be with people or under the blanket next to me when I'm laying on the couch. Thank u.. I don't understand the whole scale thing? Can u explain it to me a little please??? Of course if u have time. An is that why he's little I mean in girth wise

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Take a crisp pic of nose to eye. I can explain.

For an Argie, will have two large sales between nose and eye. A Columbian will have one large loreal scale.

Both can have smaller scales nearby.

Could be an Argie female. Smaller than males and no enlarged jowls. Looks very healthy to me based on form= not skinny or obese.

I know what you mean about an affectionate tegu. Two of my three are friendly-gentle-curious. The third seems to want to hang out with me even much more so.

sorry I just woke him up he's now very happy lol poor baby. He wasn't being very still

Attachments

• WP_20160207_12_30_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160207_12_30_54_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • WP_20160207_12_31_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160207_12_31_04_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

snibborsirk

I would def say yours is a Columbian - as Walt1 said - remarkable to have a Columbian that calm and relaxed. Both your tegu and Savannah both look very happy and loved.

On another note, I'll throw my 2 cents worth in on getting an argentine. Personally, I would be hesitant to get a large male to start out with, especially if kids or other animals will be around constantly. While the large male may be perfectly calm for Rodney, shipping and introducing him to a new environment could considerably stress him out and could potentially lead to aggression - and large tegus can cause some serious injury. I've never been a fan of acquiring full grown adults unless I can spend time with them first and see how they react to multiple handlers and such. I've always preferred getting a subadult or younger so they are easier to work with and they can grow up and mature with me and now my family. This way you get to know them and their personality before they are gigantic - makes it a whole easier to read the tegu and its tendencies - plus it's more time for the tegu to get used to you as it grows. Again, this is just my opinion from personal experience as I've owned and worked with tegus and monitors for most of my life.

Here's a couple pics of my Florida tegu to give you an idea of the Florida stock. Mines a high white with fairly orange belly. Just took the first pic a minute ago - he's the one in the forefront of the pic - he's about to shed so his pattern isa little cloudy looking in the new pic. image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

this is what I'm looking for. An thank u. I appreciate the advice the little girl is my grand daughter my boys are 17 & 18 they not home much an when they are they play with em but the DI KNOW WHEN TO LEAVE EM ALONE. When he first comes to the house no one will be handling them but me till he has time to settle. I do really appreciate your concern though

Attachments

• V__18C5.jpg
    V__18C5.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 15

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Snib, for my tastes, your male is ideal for color and pattern. High white AND firebelly. If I were able to maintain another male, I would buy him immediately. Longer you have him, the more he'll be worth apart from the fact that I know you want him in a good home.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks Shannon. I hope you'll share your care and taming of the Columbian, even if it were easy. More info the better out there as this is not so readily trained a lizard.

snibborsirk

Yes - gotta love the big black and white males - that's exactly what got me into tegus when I saw a large male at a reptile show when I was around 10 yrs old. Went to the Repticon in SC today. Trying to work out a trade with a seller there that had a blue/Chacoan cross and a red/Chacoan cross. If either are actually females that is. Waiting for him to try to confirm the sex on them - then I may be able to work out a trade for one of my males.

you two are awesome. Thank you both I appreciate your opinion an support. God knows I'm sure I'll ask something stupid or pretty silly sooner or later an at least I know I'll get honestly here. Please Snib post her if u make the trade. In very interested in seen her. Thanks again guys.

OK guys I do have a question does it hurt to mix Tegus breeds, Or should bl & wh's only breed with bl & wh's or can u breed a bl & wh with a Colombian or a argi?????? Told ya I'm new at this. I'm not looking to breed anyone just wondering

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980