• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Free roaming tegus

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Someone was asking about free roaming tegus, there is nothing wrong about letting them free roam outside as long as you have built the trust first between you and him. I don't free roam my babies, but all of my adults get to roam from time to time. Here is a video clip of Seth free roaming:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSvW5kjghQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSvW5kjghQ</a><!-- m -->

COWHER

5 Year Member
i let barbossa free roam outside when its warm out but a month ago he almost was 'Gu-napped by a turkey vulture damn thing got within 5 feet of him and i had to throw my cell phone at it :shock: i got a pelet gun after that and i dare a turkey vulture to come and try me lol

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i let barbossa free roam outside when its warm out but a month ago he almost was 'Gu-napped by a turkey vulture damn thing got within 5 feet of him and i had to throw my cell phone at it Shocked i got a pelet gun after that and i dare a turkey vulture to come and try me lol

That sounds scary. Darn vultures. :x

I love letting mine freeroam. At one point, I had 2 freeroaming in the park with me; when a mother of 3 saw them. She soon exclaimed to her surprised children and husband, "Look, it's a snake!!!!". They seemed pretty terrified even after I explained that it was just a lizard. The real fun came when I showed them the bigger one and told them their adult size. I bring them out more often now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nat

5 Year Member
I probably won't be able to free roam mine once they grow up because..
a) there are too many wild animals in my yard, not to mention loose neighbours dogs and A LOT of eagles
b) the city where I live has very strict reptile / exotic laws and I could get in trouble taking them to the park

but once I move into my own place (rather than renting the house I am in now) I am sure all of that will change! In the meantime, I let mine free roam inside the house.

COWHER

5 Year Member
nat said:
I probably won't be able to free roam mine once they grow up because..
a) there are too many wild animals in my yard, not to mention loose neighbours dogs and A LOT of eagles
b) the city where I live has very strict reptile / exotic laws and I could get in trouble taking them to the park

but once I move into my own place (rather than renting the house I am in now) I am sure all of that will change! In the meantime, I let mine free roam inside the house.
Work with what you got Nat! by the way welcome to the site you should introduce your self in the forums we can all give you a proper welcome that way :lol: :lol:

greentriple

5 Year Member
Cowher, I near pissed myself reading your post. Threw your cellphone, dam boy, I'm still laughing.

I have a big enclosed back yard, I let my little guy roam for at least 30 minutes every day that there is sun. He usually basks for 15-20 and then explores. I keep a close eye for the cats and the occasional hawk or falcon and to make sure he's not heading into an area I can't get him out of, like the back of the hot tub.

He used to sprint when I got near him, but now he just seems annoyed when I pick him up and take him away from his "giant" enclosure and put him in the "cell".

Giving him a chance to get natural sunlight is so important!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We let ours roam in the yard when it's warm. One always headed for the woods and the other for the road. Mostly they just wandered and basked. We just need to keep a close eye on them. There are some very large birds in the trees sometimes. Our Bearded Dragons are sometimes terrified by the calls of the birds.

My wife has taken the Tegu's (one at a time) to our son's baseball games (with a harness on a leash). Some people are curious and some are terrified. Our Red even laid next to the dog in the front of the bleachers once.

greentriple

5 Year Member
That would be a great picture. The little league game in the background, apple pie at the concession stand, irate fathers leaning against the fence screaming at their kid and the family dog and tegu fast asleep in the warm summer sun.

Better than dogs playing poker.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
haha cool.

have any of you guys tried clicker training with your tegus? I want to try it but dont have the first clue as where to start.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
have any of you guys tried clicker training with your tegus? I want to try it but have the first clue as where to start.
We bought them but haven't used them. Rick has some info on his site.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
greentriple said:
That would be a great picture. The little league game in the background, apple pie at the concession stand, irate fathers leaning against the fence screaming at their kid and the family dog and tegu fast asleep in the warm summer sun.

Better than dogs playing poker.
I wish I had taken some pictures. I was on the other side of the fence.

I wish I had a picture of the woman that fell out of her chair trying to get away from him. My wife was holding him under her arm. He was calm, the woman went nuts!!

greentriple

5 Year Member
About 8 years ago I was walking through Balboa Park with my 4.5 foot iguana on my shoulder, and my dog on his leash, a very cute Welsh Terrier. A woman in her late 50's came around the corner with her husband in arm. She took a look at the dog and said something like, "oh, honey look at that cute dog...." She then looked up at me and began to ask what kind of dog he was when here eyes caught a gander of Harriett. The woman let out a blood curdling scream and ran full sprint in the opposite direction. Her husband had a few choice words for me and then took off after her. I laughed about it for days.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd laugh too.

I think some towns have laws against showing reptiles in public because it could cause a disturbance. I keep meaning to call the town police to ask.

greentriple

5 Year Member
I guess for now Sancho will have to be happy roaming around the house. This was today:

Bucket030.jpg

Bucket038.jpg

Bucket035.jpg

Bucket049.jpg

Bucket043.jpg

bucket.jpg

Bucket044.jpg

He's got an easy life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads