• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

fresh sardines as tegu food

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I have read that sardines are a very nutritious fish for humans, anyway. At the local supermarket, whole frozen sardines are $2 for a 28oz bag. Would this be ok for my tegu? I read that sardines are close in nutrition to salmon.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Yes. Sardines are a very good choice of food. Low in mercury, high in Omega 3s. Canned sardines in water (no salt) are also a good choice.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Little Wise Owl said:
Yes. Sardines are a very good choice of food. Low in mercury, high in Omega 3s. Canned sardines in water (no salt) are also a good choice.

Thank you, $2 for 28oz for a good food sounds like a good buy. I bought them and put them in my tegu freezer already. The freezer is not for freezing tegus, just his food.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Dubya said:
Little Wise Owl said:

Thank you, $2 for 28oz for a good food sounds like a good buy. I bought them and put them in my tegu freezer already. The freezer is not for freezing tegus, just his food.

What if he gets hot??? You gotta have a tegu freezer on standby!!

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Deac77 said:
Dubya said:
Little Wise Owl said:

What if he gets hot??? You gotta have a tegu freezer on standby!!
It is too small. Only 2.1cuft. He will have to live in my regular refrigerator during July and August.

elmo

this is awesome info, im going to buy some sardines and a tegu freezer, what size do i need for a full grown tegu? lmao!!!! jk

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Fresh does not mean frozen. If you had access to fresh sardines, I'd say go crazy. Frozen sardines are another story. Dead fish release thiaminase, which breaks down thiamine in the body. Freezing doesn't stop this process, and therefore the longer the fish is frozen, the less thiamine it will contain. Heavy reliance on cheap, frozen fish has often lead to thiamine deficiency in captive reptiles. Feel free to offer them as a treat, avoid using them as a staple without thiamine supplementation.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Roadkill said:
Fresh does not mean frozen. If you had access to fresh sardines, I'd say go crazy. Frozen sardines are another story. Dead fish release thiaminase, which breaks down thiamine in the body. Freezing doesn't stop this process, and therefore the longer the fish is frozen, the less thiamine it will contain. Heavy reliance on cheap, frozen fish has often lead to thiamine deficiency in captive reptiles. Feel free to offer them as a treat, avoid using them as a staple without thiamine supplementation.

The same store has them fresh, too. Also very cheap.

elmo said:
this is awesome info, im going to buy some sardines and a tegu freezer, what size do i need for a full grown tegu? lmao!!!! jk
Inside, it has to be as long as the full length of the tegu. If you keep your tegu frozen all week and only defrost him on the weekends, he can live upwards of 100 years. However, he will grow much more slowly. It is safe to freeze him while you go on an extended vacation as long as he is wrapped to prevent freezer burn. On your return, place him in a bathtub with cool water and epsom salts and gradually add warm water till a temp of 105deg is reached.

Roadkill said:

I said fresh because most people think of sardines as canned.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Roadkill said:

Unless he's using them daily with little or no other food, I highly doubt you'll ever see a thiamine deficiency. Offered with a varied diet, he should have no issues.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Little Wise Owl said:
Roadkill said:

Unless he's using them daily with little or no other food, I highly doubt you'll ever see a thiamine deficiency. Offered with a varied diet, he should have no issues.

They are just one of many things. I try to mix it up as much as possible. His usual mix is 70% coctail franks, 20% Hillshire Farms Lil Smokies, and 10% sauerkraut.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Don't forget the lunchmeat and ahso sauce... ;p

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
BatGirl1 said:
Don't forget the lunchmeat and ahso sauce... ;p

Turkey Spam is better than regular. Also, he will not eat his potstickers without ahso sauce. I have to add caraway seeds to his sauerkraut to reduce bloating.

apocalypse910

Dubya said:
Little Wise Owl said:
Roadkill said:

They are just one of many things. I try to mix it up as much as possible. His usual mix is 70% coctail franks, 20% Hillshire Farms Lil Smokies, and 10% sauerkraut.

That doesn't sound very balanced. You should try adding pop-rocks back into his diet as well. Just be sure to introduce them gradually.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Don't forget the soda...the pop rocks don't offer the same nutritional balance without it. ( nor the fun fizzy experience on that long tegu tongue! )

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I know this guy who had a friend that gave his nile monitor Pop Rocks and Whip-its and the monitor went nuts and bit him and then floated out the window, so I heard.

TeguBlake

If your looking to faten up his tail, take him to the all you can eat pan cakes at I hop, but sometimes mine is picky and will only eat an rat omelet.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
What is wrong with us...? By the way I only believe the floating out the window part...the rest is obviously hogwash. :p

TeguBlake

BatGirl1 said:
What is wrong with us...? By the way I only believe the floating out the window part...the rest is obviously hogwash. :p

Haha idk it's just fun:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029