• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Golden x argentine b&w hybrid!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What do you mean you have a bad feeling about the wc Florida tegus?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I dont see any colombian traits in that tegu.. I wonder how they know what the parents were if its wc. $30 isnt bad for a tegu but it should be vet checked, who knows what its picked up.. Its cute though!!

slideaboot

5 Year Member
That guy's full of crap by saying it's a cross. Unless he crossed it (which he admitted he didn't), he cannot say WHAT that tegu is. Just another guy saying whatever he has to say to unload an animal. BUT, for $30, you can't really go wrong.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a bad feeling about WC flordia tegus on the front that people who read about arg tegus have the idea that tegus are all calm. Granted no reptile should be considered to be tame just becasue most of the speices is, but thats one ascpet that draws people to tegus. With these wild caught tegus hitting the market it could end up giving the tegu a bad rap, much like wc of other animals.

I have not personally worked with one, but lets face and animal that had to fend for its self out it the wild is not going to trust people to easily.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The picture on facebook is really making me mad! I don't think I would do business with them based on this one tegu. If you're going to sell something at least know what you're selling.

"Who said colombian? Its a golden tegu crossed with an argentine black and white...they are WC in FLORIDA where there is a population of golden tegus and argentine tegus in the exact same area where a wholesaler hadboth escape. Wehave also caught pure golden and pure argentine black and whites in same area, of all sizes.
Also, why cannot an argentine and golden cross? Ive personally seen argentineblack and whites crossed with reds, and reds crossed with colombians, and colombians crossed with goldens, blues crossed with both reds and argentines."

(from their facebook)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was going to let it go but those last two comments got me. I've inquired about a couple ball pythons they had on kingsnake before. But how they handle this might make me pass on doing business with them.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Yeah, that dude knows jack-squat about the animal he just sold--though, from his attitude, the unsuspecting buyer would never know it. There's a lot of people, ESPECIALLY in Florida, who work solely in volume and couldn't care less about the quality or misrepresentation of their animals. I almost "friended" that guy on Facebook just to tell him what a jackwagon he's making himself out to be, but instead, I thought I'd passive aggressively post it here...hehe.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Theres another member on here, i cant remember her name, who has a tegu with yellow looking spots. $99 isnt a bad price for a tegu but why sell it as something it clearly isnt?

Grendel

Hi every one, I'm the one who got that tegu last night. It's gonna arrive this Thursday. I'm fully aware of the potential risk with this animal. I will keep it quaranteened and have it tested for parasites. I decided to take a risk and see if I can get something "different". $69 (30+shipping) seemed worth it. I'll take a bunch of good pics as soon as I can and will post them here. I will also keep you updated, even if this animal fails miserably.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
chelvis said:
I have a bad feeling about WC flordia tegus on the front that people who read about arg tegus have the idea that tegus are all calm. Granted no reptile should be considered to be tame just becasue most of the speices is, but thats one ascpet that draws people to tegus. With these wild caught tegus hitting the market it could end up giving the tegu a bad rap, much like wc of other animals.

I have not personally worked with one, but lets face and animal that had to fend for its self out it the wild is not going to trust people to easily.

Ok makes sense.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats on the tegu. It does look nice, i hope it works out for you! Im gla you understand that there can be some risk with a wc animal. Yes lots of pics! I wanna see how it colors up as it grows :).

Grendel

There are a few possibilities of what may arrive:
1. ( and most likely) a dirty, WC Argentinian B&W
2. A Colombian tegu ( the golden tegu from guyana is the same thing, despite of what the owner of Snakes at sunset says)
3. A hybrid of Colombian and argentine- very, very unlikely
4. An escaped, illegal import of T. Duseni- which would be super cool too, but again extremely unlikely

babyyitslove

Congrats on the new gu! But did you atleast tell them that they're flippin' moronic? If Argentine and columbians are so commonly crossed, why haven't they hit the REAL market? Dude is a dip **** and a half.

But I'm super excited to see what you get! No matter what, if its a tegu, then rock on! All GUs are cool in my book... even if they're just wild caught mutts lollol

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I saw that ive been watching to see what else they say and was relieved And bummed at the same time. Maybe they realized they were mistaken. Too bad they probably wont admit it.

Grendel

[attachment=3340]So the ifamous tegu is here, they shipped it one day sooner. On first glace it look healthy, but on the thin side. It has all its toes and full tail. No major scars or missing scales.
It in no way resembles a colombian tegu. Its head is more pointy like my extreme when compared to the usual argentinian BW. It definitely has yellow scales rather then white, which become more yellow toward the back half of the body. The color does not wash off. Perhaps it is due to diet, or just a different shade by chance. Only time will tell if it fades or becomes more pronounced. It let me hold it after a warm soak without a fight, and he ate some food readily. So its ok so far.
One thing is for sure, it is not a cross between a colombian and an argentine.

two more pics

Attachments

• thead1.jpg
    thead1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 11
  • photo (20).jpg
    photo (20).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 11
  • photo (21).jpg
    photo (21).jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 11
  • photo (24).jpg
    photo (24).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 13
  • photo (22).jpg
    photo (22).jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 11
  • photo (19).jpg
    photo (19).jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 16
  • photo (23).jpg
    photo (23).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 11

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good luck with him. I believe it is just an odd-colored Argentine.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's about to shed,.. still interesting to say the least. It looks like it's going to have a nice white head as it sheds and gets older. Can you get pics in better light when you get a chance.
What does your receipt say,.. black and gold hybrid or what?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
I still think its just a Argentine. Not the same, but look at post #71 in this thread http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=988&page=5#axzz1ZxxNkMpd

Congrats on the new tegu though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029