• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Golden

jb62

Hi.

I've been looking at the golden tegu's and was wondering what max sizes they get to and what's the tipical temperament of them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DavidRosi

My male Colombian is 3 feet long (mostly tail) and temperament varies, also husbandry is a big factor
[attachment=5632]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351433675.353517.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351433675.353517.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 293

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Same, I have two adult teguixin and they are both quite tame. The female is more flighty (usually because she is avoiding the male) and the male goes with me to the classroom and such.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Kodo is around three feet long and is exceedingly tame. I handle him daily and he's never given any display of aggression.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They generally max out about 3-3.5' but can get a little bigger, have seen them as big as 4'. Temperament is generally going to be determined by the amount of time you are willing to put in to them. If you spend the time they can be just as tame as Argentines.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
Same, I have two adult teguixin and they are both quite tame. The female is more flighty (usually because she is avoiding the male) and the male goes with me to the classroom and such.

I biasedly say that Chester is the best colombian out there :)

jb62

So what size vivarium do you use?
Do you use a spot for hearing with any ceramic for night temps?
What prices do Golden's sell for?
What's best male or female?
Sorry to ask so much but I'm finding miss leading information over the net and I'd sooner know facts before I commit to owning one.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Golds are classified as colombians, both "black and white' and "golds" are the same species, so any information you find pertaining to colombian black and whites would be the same as a gold.

6x3 would be the absolute minimum you'd want to house one in. Same type of basking area as with all tegus, but colombians are not as cold tolerant so its best not to let the cage drop below 80f degrees at night and you can use a black or purple bulb for night time heat if you needed, Im not a fan of ceramics as they dry out the cage and are horrible for keeping humidity.

Average price of a colombian aka gold would be $40-100 depending on the age and where your getting it from. Keep in mind it will be an import, not cb.

I find there is no difference in temperament between genders, its based on individual personality and they can be a little bit more difficult to sex than the argentines because their jowels are not as big.

Hope this helps

Dirkthejerk41

Golds are classified as colombians, both "black and white' and "golds" are the same species, so any information you find pertaining to colombian black and whites would be the same as a gold.

6x3 would be the absolute minimum you'd want to house one in. Same type of basking area as with all tegus, but colombians are not as cold tolerant so its best not to let the cage drop below 80f degrees at night and you can use a black or purple bulb for night time heat if you needed, Im not a fan of ceramics as they dry out the cage and are horrible for keeping humidity.

Average price of a colombian aka gold would be $40-100 depending on the age and where your getting it from. Keep in mind it will be an import, not cb.

I find there is no difference in temperament between genders, its based on individual personality and they can be a little bit more difficult to sex than the argentines because their jowels are not as big.

Hope this helps
SnakeCharmr, is about 74-75 okay for night?? I've talked to several people who say that would be okay for night time temps?

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
it is OKAY but if you can do higher it would be better. A lot of time the colombians wont be as active as they should be if the night time drops too low.

kymzilla

Both mine are male, 3ft long and are very tame. The only time they show aggression to me is right when they wake up and they're hungry. Or of course if i pester them.

Mine are both in a 4x2x2 right now but were building a bigger tank starting next month.
They free roam the living room all day so are really only in the tank to sleep.

I disagree on the temps dipping too low at night leading to less activity. Sometimes mine gets to 70 and they will wake up the same time everyday and are always actively running around all day until they get lazy and nest in blankets or burrow into the couch.

jb62

Both mine are male, 3ft long and are very tame. The only time they show aggression to me is right when they wake up and they're hungry. Or of course if i pester them.

Mine are both in a 4x2x2 right now but were building a bigger tank starting next month.
They free roam the living room all day so are really only in the tank to sleep.

I disagree on the temps dipping too low at night leading to less activity. Sometimes mine gets to 70 and they will wake up the same time everyday and are always actively running around all day until they get lazy and nest in blankets or burrow into the couch.

Kymzilla do you have photo's of your two male's.. :)

jb62

Hope this helps

I thought the golden were the smaller of them all!..
Didn't know that columbian b&w were the same species!..
Is this also true with Columbian Black's ?

jb62

yes, there are a bunch of different names for colombians but they are all Tupinambis teguixin

Yeah I read on a forum that the b&w are most likely Argentin and other's say they are cross bred as the true golden has no black and white .. Other's say the true golden never grows over 3ft!.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
There are argentine b/w and colombian black and white, but golds and colombian b/w are the same animal, just different color variations.

jb62

Tegus EU on Facebook have a conflict as some agree with you and some don't!
They keep referencing to Argentine b&w.

jb62

There are argentine b/w and colombian black and white, but golds and colombian b/w are the same animal, just different color variations.

This is from the first guy to breed Columbian Golden's.. When I put your reply to him. He said.. "" no they are not the same in any way at all, except the fact they have 4 legs and a tail. ""

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced