• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hallo from Argentina! Here is Juancho! :D

gebris353

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! Thanks Bobby for the invitation. Well my name is Fabian and I'm Argentinian! I'm 21 and love engeneering, aikido and Juancho, my 10 years old red tegu. Juancho is a female but when I bought her I was told she was a male, that's why the name. I still call her as a boy lol. Well, she is really tame, I feed her from my hand and mouth, she know when we feed her with the spoon cause she doesnt have to bite it, she can lay on his back, and we love to take naps together, I like dressing her too lol. Here you can see some of her videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/gebris353 and some funny pics of her: http://thetegu.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=278 Hope you like them. She is my beauty. :-D

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
WELCOME!!! I watched your videos earlyer..your tegu is beautiful.

Aranha

5 Year Member
Ah the man with the sweetest tegu in argentina? :D Glad to see you decided to sign up! Welcome welcome! Your tegu is wonderful :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Fabian, welcome to the site, I am so glad you could join us. I am sure you will enjoy it. I am also sure many people here will have many questions too. I will let you know though, I plan one day to visit you country, you can be my guide and translator. :)

gebris353

5 Year Member
I live in Mar del Plata, province of Buenos Aires (like one of your states). Its in the east coast at the middle of the country, its a touristic city so you maybe have heard of it. 8)

Thanks again for the comments, the first time Bobby invited me I tried to register asap but I had some troubles with the image code lol, so the system asked me to try later :p Anyway, I'm here to know more about Juancho cause here in Argentina pet shops sell this lizards as the easiest to keep as pet cause they dont need much care or attention, believe it or not vets dont know much about them neither. The only time Juancho got a problem, was about his year when his intestine went off little bit than an inch and breeders from "El Gringo" were in town cause of a rural exposition, I was so lucky! So I called them and they said it was normal in their installations (thouthands of them, they see that red and try to eat it so the animal ends dying if they dont see it) and that I just have to put it back in with some vaseline and use vaseline in his food for a time. By that time the vet said "I know nothing about that"... lame, a native lizard and they know nothing. Never happened again.

Maybe I havent found this forum some years ago cause I didnt know in the USA you call them tegu, here we call them lizards and there is not much info about "red lizards" lol. ;)

And yeah, I would be more than glad to become your guide and translator Bobby, that would be great! :-D

snakehandler

5 Year Member
Yes i know about Mar del Plata although i avoided that place because of the tourism. I went straight south to Patagonia instead.
And i have been in the lake district, the northeast and Iguazu.

and i dont live in the states, i live in the netherlands.

COWHER

5 Year Member
WELCOME!!!!! Great to have you here.. I'm on my cellphone internet right now but I Cant wait till I'm home and can look at your pictures

gebris353

5 Year Member
Netherlands! Well I was there too! My mom's last name is van der Wal and we have family there, my grandma and uncle's family lives in Holwerd, near Ameland, 25 Km from Leeuwarden and 9 Km from Dokkum. I know most of Friesland and its awesome! Zoentjes voor allemaal!!! :-D

And Cowher, its great to have internet in the phone, thats just amazing, we'll have to wait some year here tho, its too expensive xD

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
2003692706961098449_rs.jpg
Welcome to the board!!! Glad to have people outside the US joining in on the fun!!! Your videos were awesome BTW

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow! You have a beautiful girl! If you ever have any new problems with your girl, you could ask one of the the more knowledgeable members on the forum, such as Bobby, RehabRalphy, and Mike, just to name a few of MANY!! It's too bad that you don't have any vets that know about the "tegus"....

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
And I'm sorry if I didn't mention your name.....don't feel left out....just listed the first three names that came into my head of tegu-smart people.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
gebris353 said:
Netherlands! Well I was there too! My mom's last name is van der Wal and we have family there, my grandma and uncle's family lives in Holwerd, near Ameland, 25 Km from Leeuwarden and 9 Km from Dokkum. I know most of Friesland and its awesome! Zoentjes voor allemaal!!! :-D

It's a small world.

playlboi

5 Year Member
late welcome, but a welcome nonetheless

and yeah, it says that your red tegu is 10 years old. is that the same tegu in your video? it seems so small to be a 10 year old.

nice tegu though.

dorton

5 Year Member
Welcome to the board. Its awesome to have a member here from the country that originated all of our little guys and gals. Don't let us scare you off when people start asking for lots and lots of pics.
As far as in your area are there many tegus to be found?
Thanks for joining up, I'm sure there is lots to share.

gebris353

5 Year Member
hoosier said:
How big is your girl?

She is a little bit more than 3 feet and a third (105 cm).

playlboi said:
it says that your red tegu is 10 years old. is that the same tegu in your video?

Yeah, she is the 10 years old girl and yeah she is not as big as you can suppose, the first thing is that she is a red one so it's a smaller than b&w but she is still smaller than normal red too. I'm pretty sure the main answer for this is the captivity, she wasnt rised as a wild tegu but as a puppy, she doest spend much energy neither cause everytime we see her looking for food we were always there to give her some, she does walk looking for us when we are not near and everytime she finds us we pick her up so she stays calm, no matter if she is not over me but in the same seat or even the bed, maybe next to my books while studying. Anyway, she doesnt spend much energy so she doesnt eat too much neither. We went to a friend who is vet and he told us she didnt have parasites, she processes food ok too so it's not a kind of illness for what he could tell us. She is also a female, they are a bit smaller too right? Although I've never seen a 10 years old, not even a 5 years old in captivity bigger than Juancho talking about reds.

dorton said:
As far as in your area are there many tegus to be found?
Thanks for joining up, I'm sure there is lots to share.

Well, a few miles out of the city you can found a huge place called "Sierra de los Padres", lots of vegetation, rocks and food for tegus, you dont see them so often since the place is huge and they can hide easy but in summer people who live there report tegus to be near their swimming pools. They were brought there to eat venomous snakes' eggs. The place is amazing to go camping or just to have a nice day. Here you can see some photos: http://www.sierradelospadres.com/links/fotos/fotos.asp

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, and be sure I'll ask anything I need! :-D

Btw, I have just added a new video to my youtube page, you can check it by clicking in my site. =)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Fabian, thanks for sharing all of this awesome information; it looks like an awesome country you live in. I will get down there one day.

As for the female red, it is not unusual for a red female to be around three feet long; they do not normally get as large as the male that is around four feet long. Females are smaller than the males as a rule in all of the Argentine tegus. Fabian's female is 110% awesome looking, she is very tame and her color and pattern is just awesome!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029