• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

harmful substrates.....

KSTAR

5 Year Member
i know that cypress mulch is the best type of bedding but i had a little problem with it so i was looking to get some new substrates and was curious to know...are any of these a harm to the little guys...
*douglas fir shavings with eucalyptus
*sphagnum peat moss
*pure shredded aspen

Wooly

5 Year Member
Try using ground coconut shell bedding. I use a brand called BeatsPeat. It holds the moisture better than any bedding i've tried.

KSTAR

5 Year Member
well i was leaning more towards the shredded aspen the most...i had cypress mulch in my enclosure and my little blue started chewing on it lol so i got scared that he might do so more often and suffer from being impacted :( so i dont know what substrate to go with now...i think i might try the top soil or the aspen...even though top soil could be messy :p

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I wouldn't do Aspen personally, I get the idea it would mold fairly quickly.

This is my opinion but have you been feeding your blue as much as he will eat? Until HE/SHE stops? That might be why he was chewing of the Cypress, also are you feeding inside the cage or outside of it?

Coconut coir is amazing stuff. I use it in my 8'x4'x4' and I LOVE it more then my Cypress, I found the Cypress dried out much quicker then the coir and they didn't burrow nearly as much as they do now.

Just my $0.02 though.

Spencer

KSTAR

5 Year Member
thanks alot for your help guys :-D and yes i have been feeding outside of the enclosure and he/she eats until it no longer wants anymore so i dont kno what happen and i never had this problem until last night so i didnt know what to do either...so i took out the bedding and put newspaper...and i only had it for 2 days now cause i picked it up from DaveDragon this past saturday..where he fed his hatchlings everyday if im not mistaken and he ate ground turkey and crickets today...so when i see some poop ill be alot more happy cause ill know hes not impacted but hes still engaging in normal activity so ill just observe alot more... heres a pic...
BabyBlue3.jpg

KSTAR

5 Year Member
should i use compressed coconut fiber bedding or Loose Coconut Fiber bedding? or should i just use the repti-bark since its still small even if it tryed to eat it it cant due to the size...

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I would just mix the Cypress with Coconut coir. The only difference between loose and compressed to my knowledge at least is that one is still in the block form that hasn't been expanded and one is expanded.

I prefer the compressed because its usually cheaper and takes up less room. All you need to do is soak it in water for 5 -15 mins and it expands usually 8 times the size.

Here its extremely expensive to fill a big cage with only Cypress so I opted for Coconut products. It costs me at most $50 to fill the cage with Coconut products. I use 4 blocks of coir and 3 blocks of a more chunk like form of coconut. It holds burrow perfectly and doesn't compress like Cypress over time, only if you apply a good amount of weight on it but its easy to fix. Just put your hand under the compressed area and lift it up then mix with other non-compressed substrate.

Here are the two products I use.

Coir
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I5053990/name/coir_peat_alternative_5kg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/ind ... native_5kg</a><!-- m -->
Mulch
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I5011955/name/mulch_garden_beyond_mulch_2_1cuft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/ind ... ch_2_1cuft</a><!-- m -->

They're $6.99 a block! :)

Spencer

KSTAR

5 Year Member
great thanks alot pinkpunisher 8) ill look these links up..thanks all you guys for youre in put...and P.S - I DID NOT FEED IN THE ENCLOSURE...just in case anyone was wondering...but its pretty weired how i was just watching t.v and i looked over and saw him chewing but im still not sure if he got to swallow it or not...but if i see no poop in about 2 days im going straight to the vet...

hoosier

5 Year Member
PinkPunisher said:
Here its extremely expensive to fill a big cage with only Cypress so I opted for Coconut products. It costs me at most $50 to fill the cage with Coconut products. I use 4 blocks of coir and 3 blocks of a more chunk like form of coconut. It holds burrow perfectly and doesn't compress like Cypress over time, only if you apply a good amount of weight on it but its easy to fix. Just put your hand under the compressed area and lift it up then mix with other non-compressed substrate.

wow it only costs me $8 to fill a 6X3. its only about $3 a bag for cypress here plus tax :yik

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
If I was to fill it with only Cypress it would easily cost me over $100.. so I'm glad with what I have at the moment lol

Spencer

AlpineStar

5 Year Member
$1.20 a bag here. and this chick at a local petstore chain gives me her discount on the 3 block packs of eco-earth so i pay about a dollar a block. i would have to rethink my animals if i was paying $50-$100 to just do substrate, that crazy

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I spend the $50 every other month so its not that big of a deal, I waste more money on useless things between the time frame. Like going to see movies, buying video games, renting movies, etc. One night at the movies on average is in the $50 range for me and my girlfriend. So like I said, it doesn't bother me all that much lol

On average its $30.00 for a bag of Cypress mulch and I would need at least 4-5 bags to fill it to 4"s.

Spencer

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I use Cypress for my adult tegus as it is cheap here... 3 bags/$9. For the babies and for my other smaller lizards I use the coconut substrates...ecoearth or another product called Bed-a-Beast. I can get a 3 brick package for about $6 here. It holds humidity well without molding and I've never seen my baby Giant eat it. It is also very digable. CaribSea sells a bagged product that is larger shreds of coconut fiber. It is a very soft substrate and also holds moisture well.

Attachments

• Giant Jan 2 002.JPG
    513 bytes · Views: 5

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
For the babies and for my other smaller lizards I use the coconut substrates...ecoearth or another product called Bed-a-Beast. I can get a 3 brick package for about $6 here. It holds humidity well without molding and I've never seen my baby Giant eat it. It is also very digable. CaribSea sells a bagged product that is larger shreds of coconut fiber. It is a very soft substrate and also holds moisture well.
Bed-a- beast! That's what I was trying to remember! I think we have a couple of bricks of that.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is best not to use any types of Conifers for substrate; this includes furs, pines and cedars. This is due to the toxic oils that these trees contain, it can harm your tegu.

As for the aspen, it will mold if it gets damp and you need to keep a good humidity, so this will not work with tegus.

You could make a mix of vinegar and water to soak the cypress, this will make the substrate less palatable and it is not toxic. I have never had a problem with tegus trying to eat the bedding, so this is a new one on me. I have heard of tegus eating stones too, but I have never seen my tegus trying to eat them. :chin

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a nuuty tegu, Kreacher, that eats bedding. I see it in her stool at times. I added a 1/4 teaspoon Metamucil to her diet and haven't seen it since. She is also the kind of tegu that just bites at things...jeans buttons, anything shiny, the tub overflow thingy, painted toenails...you name it!!!

KSTAR

5 Year Member
thanks for all your input guys..i will be sure to stay away from those firs and pines aswell...thanks bobby...i think i might just go with the repti-bark for now and see if he nips at it...or i might try the mulch again..he couldve just been testing it out to see what was it since that was his 1st time in it :idea: i just hope he didnt eat it...

to laurafl : how did you apply the matamucil to your tegus diet? and what form did you buy cause i know it comes in powder and capsules..did the meatmucil help you tegu got to the bathroom or stop eating the substrate?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980