• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

heat

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
Deac77 said:
Beardies, iggys, monitors lol

your right , they don't LIKE it above 105 they LOVE it !! LOL

Jeff Lemm

''I was reading all this temp stuff and had to laugh. It is so damn hot in the islands its not even funny. I have recorded ground temps well over 200 degrees at mid day. Take a look at the pic of the carinata being temp-gunned in my Cyclura book - I wanna say its 114, but don't remember for sure. I bask baby Cyclura as high as 120 on the basking surface and up to 160 on the surface for adults. The big thing to know here is that surface or skin temp is not the same as ambient temp. There is a paper (T. Grant) that compares cloacal temp to surface skin temp''

just a quote from a author of the best books on the Cyclura's

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1973119,1973634

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclura-Husbandry-Conservation-Behavior-Management/dp/1437735169/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338263455&sr=8-2

Deac77 said:
I have a 140f basking spot with my beardie and he loves it. He actually has 4 different basking spots 140-130-123(most the time)-115 and he will move from spot to spot also where I live it's the norm to have a 115f day outside and the cement will easily hit 140 in the sun he lives to spend morning and midday out in my patio I always go way higher than suggested for my reptiles try and get it as close to their natural temps on the wild

I think its great to offer them basking area's with a different temps and UVB just like in the wild . If for some reason they get sick and need higher temps , but don't have them then ?? At least you cover all the bases when they can choose higher or lower and have that option . My Rhino was loving it in his outdoor cage today Inhis cage it was in the high 80's in the shade and 124 in the sun and 136 on the tile , where he was basking on and off until it clouded over and i brought him in . Yet it was only in the 60-low 70 outside . The black tile can really soak up some heat and make his cage toasty , even on a cool day . his cage is on the south side of our home .

the tile in his cage will get so hot , that it will steam when i spay/mist it with water . Yet he will still lay there .

roniapril20122-1.jpg
Again probably i have the book also,its a great book doesnt mean everything in it is 100% correct.There still people out there who been breeding,keeping,studing longer then Jeff Lemm,and there both breeders 35 plus years again thats probably called a exspert who have rhino's over 20 + years,and breeding.Also for me the way i take care of my rhino's seems to work as mine dont have any health problems,i guess the people who have the health issues should check there care for the rhino.

Maro1

One thing I have experienced. When I give them the chance to get into real hot areas 120 degrees and above. They will. When they want to move out of it they do. The iguana that is getting all the heat he wants is the healthiest and the most normal acting iguana. Those that are cooler and do not have the temp ranges available are different acting. In the house mine is an Iguana. Outside he is a DINOSAUR! :)

Maro1

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Again im not saying that a iguana raised under outside conditions isnt great for them,all i know is my iguanas are all healthy so if it works for me and my iguanas im leaving it that way.As both david blair and rob ehrig said my way of raising my iguanas inside is about as good as its going to get,i will take my iguanas outside during the summer to get some sun.Just my opinion.

Maro1

teguboy77,

I agree you have a great indoor setup. Its pretty much the same as mine. Here in Iowa I only get a few short months outside. But if I can that's what I do. Mine are outside now but have to come in for the rest of the week as it will be high 40's at night. 75 during the day. only 50 degrees June 1st! STUPID weather is a pain in the butt.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Maro1 said:
teguboy77,

I agree you have a great indoor setup. Its pretty much the same as mine. Here in Iowa I only get a few short months outside. But if I can that's what I do. Mine are outside now but have to come in for the rest of the week as it will be high 40's at night. 75 during the day. only 50 degrees June 1st! STUPID weather is a pain in the butt.

Thx,urs seems great to.I'm going to try to to get mine out as much as possible during the summer months as it is very good for them to get natural sun.Im glad i bought a solar meter for the months my 2 rhinos and cuban are inside to check my uvb bulbs and make sure my iguanas are getting good amounts of uvb.

Maro1

I should really get a solar meter. I have not used one but change bulbs regularly. After having them outside and then bringing them back in it seems so dark in cages. No idea about eh UVB content.

Maro1

teguboy77

5 Year Member
In my opinion its well worth the money in buying a solar meter,even if somebody changes there bulbs regularly doesnt mean the bulb ur using at the time is working properly,a uvb bulb could be putting out no uvb u never know thats why i bought one.Plus some bulbs last longer than 6 months.

Maro1

Here is my guy. 5 minutes after I put him outside today he quickly turns dark. At times almost black absorbing all the rays he can.
2012-05-30_16-37-41_717.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980