• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help! I don’t know what this is.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
My tegu was exploring my room when I saw him starting to lift his tail to poop but only a little bit came out. Then I saw him wiping his butt which he does every time after a poop, but I noticed he was doing it for longer then normal. That’s when I saw it. I long pink tube coming out of his vent. After him dragging it on the floor for a little bit, it slowly went back in. I have not seen it since. What was the cause of this? Also, could it help determine the sex of the animal?View attachment 14875
Might take him for an exam just to make sure its not a prolapse. Plus, its never a bad idea to have him checked out from time to time to make sure he is on track with growth and healthy.
My tegu was exploring my room when I saw him starting to lift his tail to poop but only a little bit came out. Then I saw him wiping his butt which he does every time after a poop, but I noticed he was doing it for longer then normal. That’s when I saw it. I long pink tube coming out of his vent. After him dragging it on the floor for a little bit, it slowly went back in. I have not seen it since. What was the cause of this? Also, could it help determine the sex of the animal?View attachment 14875ef
D
My tegu was exploring my room when I saw him starting to lift his tail to poop but only a little bit came out. Then I saw him wiping his butt which he does every time after a poop, but I noticed he was doing it for longer then normal. That’s when I saw it. I long pink tube coming out of his vent. After him dragging it on the floor for a little bit, it slowly went back in. I have not seen it since. What was the cause of this? Also, could it help determine the sex of the animal?View attachment 14875

Definitely not hemipenes & as others mentioned could be prolapse but looks more intestinal to me. I would highly recommend you bring your tegu in to a vet immediately. My male is 11 years old so I’ve seen his hemipenes countless times over the years after he’s gone to the bathroom & what you have pictured is not hemipenes. Hope you can figure this out soon, best wishes.

Dylan koch

Looks to me could be some sort of parasite which would 100% explain him dragging his butt! Unless it's a really bad prolapse with intestines coming out, but since you didnt lift up by tail for better pics. And when my tegu had prolapse. Mine wasnt a serve case I just use lube to push back in if it didnt after a sugar soak. And also massage stomach gently down with light pressure until finally pooped. And after 2 days was normal

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'm sure would've thought the same thing, especially with less experience than you, I'm 85% sure I would've freaked out and assumed it was a prolapse. I only know the textbook terms and all that jazz. But I wouldn't know what to do about it other than take them to the vet... but if this is ever to happen to me, it's possible to help them get it back in? And then take them to the vet?

I was a little sheepish at first when I helped with my males' prob - but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Very gently, not hard at all. I have seen the dropped hemipene since that time, but it retracts on it's own. I'm not one to run to the doctor, or the vet at the slightest prob though. There's a lot we can do if we're willing. If any prob persists...then the vet is best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980