• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Move

UnicornsNbattz

Hi !

I wanna do my first hibernation for my Tegu .
The room where he’s enclosure is is not cold enough to hibernate . So i’d like to put him in a different encloser in a room where I can get the temperature down enough.

My question :

Do I leave him in he’s normal enclosure untill it’s completely dark ? Of until he’s hibernating ?

(It’s not an option to let him already go in hibernation in the other enclosure)

Thank you for your time
( sorry for the bad spelling )

nightanole

Define "cold enough to hibernate". They will start to hibernate with temps in the low 70's just like bearded dragons, even if this is the all year around temp. At best once they go down for a few weeks(gotta get that food digested and the good night poop), then you can move them to the 60 degree area, and they will just wake up in 6 months less skinny vs the ones that bedded down at room temp.

UnicornsNbattz

Define "cold enough to hibernate". They will start to hibernate with temps in the low 70's just like bearded dragons, even if this is the all year around temp. At best once they go down for a few weeks(gotta get that food digested and the good night poop), then you can move them to the 60 degree area, and they will just wake up in 6 months less skinny vs the ones that bedded down at room temp.

The room where he will stay during the biggest part of the year is the reptile room . It is a constant temperature of 27ºC . In he’s winterenclosere it will be between 10 & 15ºC

UnicornsNbattz

I can’t lower the room temperature because of the other reptiles

nightanole

The room where he will stay during the biggest part of the year is the reptile room . It is a constant temperature of 27ºC . In he’s winterenclosere it will be between 10 & 15ºC

10C is a bit too cool for my tast, but 15c is dead center for the recomended temps.

At 27c he may act more like a bearded dragon, and just sleep a lot and come up for food/water once a week. You can continue to feed at 27c. If he does not come up for food and does not eat for 2 weeks, his system should be cleared out and you are free to move him to the 10-15c room and just provide clean water. I would provide a basking spot for another 2 weeks just incase he wants to clear anything out. They seem to brumate for 3-6 weeks and come up for basking a few times a week, before they bed down to the point where you question if they are even in the cage.

UnicornsNbattz

10C is a bit too cool for my tast, but 15c is dead center for the recomended temps.

At 27c he may act more like a bearded dragon, and just sleep a lot and come up for food/water once a week. You can continue to feed at 27c. If he does not come up for food and does not eat for 2 weeks, his system should be cleared out and you are free to move him to the 10-15c room and just provide clean water. I would provide a basking spot for another 2 weeks just incase he wants to clear anything out. They seem to brumate for 3-6 weeks and come up for basking a few times a week, before they bed down to the point where you question if they are even in the cage.
Thank you very much for the feedback ! I’ll keep it in mind ! And yes it’s a priority to be sure that he cleared everything out ☺️

I hope this goes wel ,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam