• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I need some advice!!!

Schnab

5 Year Member
I resently got a b&w tegu and am in the process of taming it but it seems to have trouble trusting me. I handle him 2-3 times a day and sit in the tub with it to show it I mean it no harm. But it's to get him out of the tank were I believe the mistakes are from. When I'd walk in the room and it's out basking, it'll make its way in it's hide. I've taken him out from there a few times, but I just read that it's a no no to do so. I'm just worried that I'm trying to accelerate the taming process.

Oh, and one more thing, when I was in the tub with it, (now I don't know if it's because of my eye moving) but it actualy lunged and bit me under my eye.

What should I do?

olympus

5 Year Member
Wear gggles... Just be patient and take your time mine is still like that too. Actually I don't even care if mine calms down I just want him to be massive.

scarecrow

5 Year Member
My take is that you should give him a break. It's really best not to bother him if he's running into his hide. Try just being in the room, so that he can tell you're there. Wait until he's comfortable with that. When he comes out, test his trust by lowering your hand in slowly. Let him know you're there before trying to grab him. Make sure that when you pick him up, you're supporting him underneath properly.

Just be patient. It sounds like going slowly is actually the fastest route to success in this case. Especially if he's small, he's thinking you're a predator.

Good luck!

Schnab

5 Year Member
Well its sure going to be quite a task, it's not very evident to get him used to my hand when he scuries in his hide everytime I remove the lid, or get up to do so. ANother thing I forgot to mention, the light fixture I have for the fluorescent light hums and I'm worried that it might be stressful, not helping my situation.

I put one of my worn t-shirts in his enclosure so that he will get used to my smell. WIll that help?

AB^

5 Year Member
The first step you should make is being able to close to it without it running in the hide. It will be a mostly downhill battle if you dont accomplish that first.

jor71

5 Year Member
I agree with AB and everyone else, you first need to be able to get near him/her without him/her running away. What I did was slowly go near his enclosure and just sat there for awhile. The only time I would touch him, was when I put him in his feeding bin.

He would run to his hide and I would just have the enclosure opened and would sit there and wait. Once he was out, I would gently put my hand inside and let him investigate. If I was going to lift him up, I would make sure he can see my hand and lifted him from the side.

Here are two videos from Bobby, showing how to hold them:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6U_3NCDot8

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlWvpgYzFOE&feature=related

It took about 2 weeks and afterwards I was able to walk in, open the enclosure, stick my hand in side and he would not run to his hide.

Tegus, like humans, have different personalities; what works for one, may not work for others.

One more thing, patience is the key!!

Good luck with your baby!

Here is a new pic of me holding (notice the loose grip) my 10 week old boy:

002.JPG

Schnab

5 Year Member
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's replied to my topic, I've taken all of your suggestions and put them into practice. I realized that I have been a bit rushed to handeling him, I guess I'm just overly excited :D.

I spend alot of time in the room when he's out now and he seems to have somewhat gotten used to my presence. I still put some of my clothing in his tank, and he actualy goes to investigate. When he's out basking, I slowly slide my hand up against the glass and he flicks his tung at it, so he's getting curious about me, but I'll give him more time before I actualy start to put my hand in the enclosure.

Here's a picture of him:http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4238661&id=509815220&ref=mf

AB^

5 Year Member
Schnab: I tried to fix your picture link but facebook requires people to be a member of that site to view the image. Maybe upload your tegu pictures on to photobucket.com or imageshack so people (like myself) who dont have a face book account can see them. :)

Schnab

5 Year Member
I've started to test his trust now and I can actualy get my hand in the tank without him hiding. But this leads to another question: when i started to stroke his back, he'd first hunch his back up, then start to wiggle his lower body in a very strange manner. Does that mean he's not fully comfterbal with me yet?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's a warning.

Let him get used to seeing you for a few days. Sit next to him and read a book for an hour or so, while he's out. Don't even look at him. Eventually he'll realize you're not a threat. Then you can put your hand in for him to check out. Don't force it, you might get bit (I did!!).

jor71

5 Year Member
I am not sure, but he/she looks kind of small for being 5 months old. How big is he/she?

Maybe it is just me.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Try your first contact as an open hand slowly approaching from the front. My boy didn't like the back strokes as he couldn't really see what was going on, only that some massive animal was messing with his back :) . When I came slowly from the front and started with a little chin rub he tolerated it much better and didn't bow his back at all.

Good luck,
John

Schnab

5 Year Member
I guess that makes sence, if some over sized animal rubbed my back I guess I wouldn't like it to much either :doh

Anyway I hope he realises Im no threat soon cose I can't wait to be able to love him

Schnab

5 Year Member
Oh, I have one more question; we had to move all of our tanks (including the tegu) down in the basement due to our windows getting replaced. And I know that Dino didn't like it very much that we completely changed the enviroment. He spends most of his time hiding now. Is this gonna slow down his trust buildings with me?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980