• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I think my tegu has scale rot

RichardDimas

Recently I've noticed my tegu having a small scar on his head but these past few days it looks worse I think he has scale rot and I think it may be from my parents dog trying to nip at him through the cage and idk any treatment I'll put an image
16288974927574805443697906100696.jpg

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Well, I don't know much about scale rot, so I'd check with a vet for that. If it's just an injury from something in his cage, it will prob heal on its own. So - if it's getting worse, it most likely isn't an injury unless he's still in the same situation with the dog. Sounds like it might be worth a vet visit.

Craig1976

You can use Betadine solution. I've used it on my ball python when she got scale rot once. I filled the bath tub up a little and poured the Betadine in the water until it turned a tea color (brownish in color). I soaked her for about 20 minutes to a half an hour and then pulled her out, dried her gently, and applied Neosporin (without pain relief) to the affected area. Those two products are a must have for any reptile owner! Just make sure the Tegu doesn't drink the bath water as it soaks. Hope all goes well and this should help you!

Attachments

• 16296581823332836801607656235076.jpg
    16296581823332836801607656235076.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

Hulk1

You can use Betadine solution. I've used it on my ball python when she got scale rot once. I filled the bath tub up a little and poured the Betadine in the water until it turned a tea color (brownish in color). I soaked her for about 20 minutes to a half an hour and then pulled her out, dried her gently, and applied Neosporin (without pain relief) to the affected area. Those two products are a must have for any reptile owner! Just make sure the Tegu doesn't drink the bath water as it soaks. Hope all goes well and this should help you!
Thanks Craig 1976 that definitely comes in handy for sure.

Craig1976

Hulk 1, no problem. Best of luck and I hope your little friend gets better. Keep me updated on it's progress. Hoping to hear it gets better!

Hulk1

Hulk 1, no problem. Best of luck and I hope your little friend gets better. Keep me updated on it's progress. Hoping to hear it gets better!
Craig 1976 thanks wasn't my Tegu. Lol all is good. I said thanks for sharing the info you did. Have heard this works great many reptile owner's swear by it.

RichardDimas

Thanks for the information I'll definitely add that to my shopping list or order online I appreciate the help for another reptile owner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980