• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

if youve ever had a baby tegu

bmx3000max

ok so ive had my baby extreme for a few days now from bobby and im am curiouse to all the storys im seeing of people and how thier baby extremes have been acting like temperment wise and handling but ive kept him in his encolser and planed on keeping him in it without handiling him for at least a week...i see the pictures of everyone constantly holding thiers and im wondering if i am doing somthing wrong...is it better to hold him sooner or give him his time? this is a question to anyone who has ever had a baby gu

LizardBoy97

bmx3000max said:
ok so ive had my baby extreme for a few days now from bobby and im am curiouse to all the storys im seeing of people and how thier baby extremes have been acting like temperment wise and handling but ive kept him in his encolser and planed on keeping him in it without handiling him for at least a week...i see the pictures of everyone constantly holding thiers and im wondering if i am doing somthing wrong...is it better to hold him sooner or give him his time? this is a question to anyone who has ever had a baby gu

I have never had a gu or a varanus but i do have a frillie, CWD, and a few beardies, and i do know from several of my pals that gu's and lizards in general need a few weeks to get accustomed to their new enclosure, right away definitely not! Think of it this way, you were put in a bag, inside a dark bog, flown to your location, and put into a new home, and you, this giant to him, want to pick him up, which he perceives you as a threat/predator, so just give him a few weeks, and then slowly start putting your hand in there, let him get used to your smell, etc....

LizardBoy97

bmx3000max said:
just seen other people already handling thiers and was curiouse...and i should handle him more than a week?

in a week is fine, be sure to start slow and not rush in the cage though, make your hand a fist, stick it in the cage, and see how close you can get to him before he shows signs of moderate agression, and when he does stop, and keep your hand there for 10-15min, do that 2 times a day, and after a month or two, try to pick him up from under his belly, and not from above, hold him close to the substrate, i would say 2-3", and loosely, so he doesn't feel confined, do that for a few weeks, after that, try to take him out, walk around on you etc. :D, and they were handling them early because they probably already have great experience with gu's! and i don't know what your experience is with them, so this is a beginner recommendation.

tommylee22

0My baby is still really tame loves to eat and doesn't mind me rubbing the back of his neck. As long as you move slow to them and never any fast movements he shouldn't freak out. I've had mine out so I'm for sure a guilty one.
My gu chills and sleeps right on my chest, I've put him in the bath ever night after his first night at 5:30 on the dot and feed him at the same time everyday as well. I even took him outside today he loved resting on my shoulder in the sun. IDK seems you just need to let the gu lead on when handling is right. if he blows up back off and just try each day (this was the case first 24hrs with mine) till he's use to you getting closer til you can touch him. I always come to the cage open the lid wait and let him look at me a few min and then I start my hand on one end of tank and slowly work my way to him, today he crawled right up on my arm so things seem to be ok. Maybe I'm pushing it idk..

bmx3000max

thanks for the advice i think il try to handle him ans see his reaction...but what if he runs into his hide...ive heard the golden rule is to never take them out of thier hides

LizardBoy97

bmx3000max said:
thanks for the advice i think il try to handle him ans see his reaction...but what if he runs into his hide...ive heard the golden rule is to never take them out of thier hides

Correct, you would make them feel threatened in the one place they feel safe, and would then associate you with a predator looking for food.

tommylee22

yea I'd just wait till he's back out and just remember to move really slow, stop a few min when close to him let him lick you and just watch his breathing that really speaks for him as to how comfortable he is with you coming near him, once he seems a little relaxed just get a little closer and soon enough you will have him in your hands.

bmx3000max

i havent...he seems tame dosent run wen i enter the room like when i had my savanha monitor...but whenever i stick my hand in his encloser hes ok until i get close to him and then he starts to freak out with heavy breathing etc

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Leave him be for the next week or two. Don't rush things, it'll all fall into play eventually.

LizardBoy97

bmx3000max said:
i havent...he seems tame dosent run wen i enter the room like when i had my savanha monitor...but whenever i stick my hand in his encloser hes ok until i get close to him and then he starts to freak out with heavy breathing etc

ok, and that is his first line of defense against you,huffing up, making himself look bigger to eat, so you leave him alone, but just put your hand in there and let him get used to you, he won't do that very often after he is adapted to his new enclosure :D

DavidRosi

With my Columbian Black and Gold; I found at the start I had to leave her to her own devices for a while... and I'd spend a lot of time with just my hand in her viv, next to her so she could lick me and get used to that.

When it comes to feeding time she'll come out of her viv in her run and will eat happily and let me stroke her back with no problems, and today she climbed on me at her own free-will (which I'm super happy about !)

It's just about time, patience... and yours will come around, if the "dreaded columbian" can, I'm sure yours will too :)

Steven.

Lol, i was just reading this thread and its amazing how fast bmx3000max has tame down his extreme. I mean he even come when hes called!!!.. I gotta learn these secrets. I know my guy is not even two weeks now, but just fishing for some ideas and new things to think about is not too much to ask...

bmx3000max

I remember this lol...yea was affraid yogi would be mean and now hes so tame he wouldnt even hurt a fly...like he dosent evenlike to eat live preay lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980