• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is eco earth a good substrate

is eco earth a good substrate for a savannah monitor and tegu? becuase i need a substrate that can hold humidity and i like eco earth for my beardi because its pretty cheap, hides smell, and is claimed to be digestible

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Eco earth is not digestible. Tegus and savannahs require different care, so I suggest you stop grouping your questions in regards to tegus and savannahs. Instead, split the questions up - read savannah monitor care sheets, visit monitor forums, and all that.

Your questions are quite basic, and it irritates me to see that your questions are grouped and are in regards to savannahs and tegus. They are not even remotely related and require completely DIFFERENR care. But I'm sure you already knew that. Do your extensive research regarding savs, I'm almost positive you won't find all the info in that book you have or on tegu talk.

TeguBuzz said:
Eco earth is not digestible. Tegus and savannahs require different care, so I suggest you stop grouping your questions in regards to tegus and savannahs. Instead, split the questions up - read savannah monitor care sheets, visit monitor forums, and all that.

Your questions are quite basic, and it irritates me to see that your questions are grouped and are in regards to savannahs and tegus. They are not even remotely related and require completely DIFFERENR care. But I'm sure you already knew that. Do your extensive research regarding savs, I'm almost positive you won't find all the info in that book you have or on tegu talk.

Ya im aware but this qeustion actually was about both, i wanted to know if it worked for both of them because i didnt decide yet and i wanted to set up the enclosure, and if eco earth worked for both of them then id be able to add that withought having decided which one yet

leosbybam said:
What tegubuzz said...For my tegus I use a sand soil mix.As for your beardie I would use newspaper.

ya ive heard good things about the sand and soil mix, is that pottting soil and just regular sand u can get from home depot? and does it cause impaction for baby tegus?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
No it doesn't work for both. It will probably work decently for a tegu but your savannah will likely die from long term dehydration. If you don't know what that is yet you clearly haven't done the reading multiple people have tried to send you to. No idea why you won't just READ and LEARN.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Why in gods name keep a beardie in Eco earth are you trying to cause a ri??? These guys need low humidity and Eco earth comes wet so unless you have dried it for weeks this isn't going to work

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Deac77 said:
Why in gods name keep a beardie in Eco earth are you trying to cause a ri??? These guys need low humidity and Eco earth comes wet so unless you have dried it for weeks this isn't going to work

Very well said. I just now saw his post saying he keeps his bearded dragons on eco earth.

To the OP - what makes you think you can care for a savannah or a tegu if you can't even care for your bearded dragon properly? Bearded dragons in captivity do best on tile or something along those lines. I use to keep some of my adults on newspaper, some on tile, and the larger retired breeders I use to keep on washed and dried out play sand.

Dragons require a dry environment and there is no way they can possibly thrive on a substrate as moist and humidity encouraging as eco earth.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Eco Earth is a good substrate that can be used both dry and moist. It's sold dry in a loose or compacted form, most people just use it in tropical setups and add as much moisture needed for what they keep. Since it absorbs and holds moisture well. It's not digestible but it passes through the digestive system easily. Impactions are not just substrate related quite a few things can cause one, some more so than others.

The only con I see with it is that it's not firm enough to hold burrows and that's where savs, sand and soil mixtures come in. Savs need to burrow so eco earth alone wouldn't work well enough for them. But it can also be used with or inplace of soil in a sand and soil mixture.

Sand and soil mixes are pretty much topsoil and play sand from home depot or where ever. The mixture required to hold burrows varies depending on the type of sand and soil you use.

TegusRawsome80 said:
No it doesn't work for both. It will probably work decently for a tegu but your savannah will likely die from long term dehydration. If you don't know what that is yet you clearly haven't done the reading multiple people have tried to send you to. No idea why you won't just READ and LEARN.

Dude u aint got the slightest clue how much ive been reading on savannah monitors. Every single night for the past 4 months i have been reading caresheets, books, and forums, infact savannah monitors are the only specific thing that ive researched this intesly, the information i couldnt find or wanted more info on the topic i asked here. As far as dehydration goes, of course im aware of dehydration, but not everybody says u need a humidity at 60% or higher

Deac77 said:

Its completely dry, after i soaked the brick i laid all the eco earth on a bunch of newspapers with a bunch of heat lamps over it for like 2 days until it was totaly dry, then i placed it in his cage. It even says on the eco earth that it works just as well as a dry substrate to keep humidity low, the hydrometer says thers 35% humidity which is the same as my room

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Do you know what longterm dehydration is? You may think I "aint got the slightest clue" but you're the one trying to keep a second Savannah monitor in an awful setup with bad husbandry after you already killed one through the same method. You clearly are listening to whatever fits your flawed idea of proper husbandry. You should really listen to the best advice out there which currently is Savannahmonitor.co. If you don't, you will end up with a dead monitor yet again.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Research for 4 months? Yea right. You have proved time and time again in less than a week that you don't even know the slightest bit of UP TO DATE info on savannahs. You want to get one? Go ahead, it's obviously your choice, but with the care you've described - it will die.

Bubblz Calhoun said:
Eco Earth is a good substrate that can be used both dry and moist. It's sold dry in a loose or compacted form, most people just use it in tropical setups and add as much moisture needed for what they keep. Since it absorbs and holds moisture well. It's not digestible but it passes through the digestive system easily. Impactions are not just substrate related quite a few things can cause one, some more so than others.

The only con I see with it is that it's not firm enough to hold burrows and that's where savs, sand and soil mixtures come in. Savs need to burrow so eco earth alone wouldn't work well enough for them. But it can also be used with or inplace of soil in a sand and soil mixture.

Sand and soil mixes are pretty much topsoil and play sand from home depot or where ever. The mixture required to hold burrows varies depending on the type of sand and soil you use.

Awsome! thank u for answering my qeustion well! Do u think eco earth and sand mix would be better for a baby since it would proboly reduce the risk of impaction?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
No topsoil and play sand would work way better because it HOLDS HUMIDITY AND BURROWS. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to monitors.

TeguBuzz said:
Research for 4 months? Yea right. You have proved time and time again in less than a week that you don't even know the slightest bit of UP TO DATE info on savannahs. You want to get one? Go ahead, it's obviously your choice, but with the care you've described - it will die.

Ive read all that, I read savannahmonitors.co a bunch of times as well as other sites that agree with there veiws, but saying the way i have in mind is going to kill him, now thats ilogical. First off the first one i had petland gave us back our money because they said he was sick when we got him which makes sence, second how can he for sure die if i follow my book? this man has clearly owned many savs this way and they have lived, even if u say its "outdated" that doesnt change facts that his lived even with though u claim they die doing it his "outdated" way. Clearly if this guy mark k bayless's monitors kept dying because of the way he kept them, u would think he would be smart enough not to publish a book on how to keep them alive. and if ur gonna say he didnt keep his monitors the way he says to in the book, then thats just rediculous, because why would someone who loves monitors write a book on how to kill them!? So clearly we see that the ways of his book doesnt kill monitors even IF its "outdated

Ripkabird98

batmanjosh5000 said:
TeguBuzz said:

Ive read all that, I read savannahmonitors.co a bunch of times as well as other sites that agree with there veiws, but saying the way i have in mind is going to kill him, now thats ilogical. First off the first one i had petland gave us back our money because they said he was sick when we got him which makes sence, second how can he for sure die if i follow my book? this man has clearly owned many savs this way and they have lived, even if u say its "outdated" that doesnt change facts that his lived even with though u claim they die doing it his "outdated" way. Clearly if this guy mark k bayless's monitors kept dying because of the way he kept them, u would think he would be smart enough not to publish a book on how to keep them alive. and if ur gonna say he didnt keep his monitors the way he says to in the book, then thats just rediculous, because why would someone who loves monitors write a book on how to kill them!? So clearly we see that the ways of his book doesnt kill monitors even IF its "outdated

I lived with tons of bugs as a kid. They all died. Lemme go write a care book so I can make money from suckers like you, I mean, I had A LOT, so I clearly am an expert.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
One note about beardies...i used to keep my mary on playsand but later switched to paper towels because way easier cleanup :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
He obviously didn't understand that his care wasn't up to today's standards. I haven't read the book but those temps are not accurate. If you knew anything about Mark you'd know he unfortunately passed away a number of years ago. He definitely didn't intentionally try to care for his monitors in a less than ideal way. He was a great man and a pioneer in the monitor keeping industry but times have changed and care has become better and more advanced. As a keeper, it is your job to follow those changes and change with it.

Ripkabird98 said:
batmanjosh5000 said:
TeguBuzz said:

I lived with tons of bugs as a kid. They all died. Lemme go write a care book so I can make money from suckers like you, I mean, I had A LOT, so I clearly am an expert.
So then according to u, Mark K Bayless was an evil man who lied that his savannah monitors lived to 15 years, thought "hey even though all my savs are dying i am going to write and publish a book on them to make money", If u really believe that this is what he was thinking i would like u to tell me why he would go through extensive research on their diet, history, natural habitat, breeding them, and their medical problems but tell all of the wrong husbandry related topics, OR ur second option is that he made up every single thing up in the book, now the first option clearly seems REDONKULIS, and the second option could make in terms of his motivation, but then why would there be such good reveiws on a book that kills peoples pets? I would like an answer to this if u can

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Mark was not "evil". His care is simply outdated. He is not evil, I have a friend who was very close with him and he was a great guy but his book is outdated if it states that basking temp. We are basing our claims off of what you told us you read. I don't know if it's true or not. I haven't read the book but you need to read some updated care information.

TegusRawsome80 said:
He obviously didn't understand that his care wasn't up to today's standards. I haven't read the book but those temps are not accurate. If you knew anything about Mark you'd know he unfortunately passed away a number of years ago. He definitely didn't intentionally try to care for his monitors in a less than ideal way. He was a great man and a pioneer in the monitor keeping industry but times have changed and care has become better and more advanced. As a keeper, it is your job to follow those changes and change with it.

Agreed, that would definately be ideal. But ive read the book probobly 6 or 7 times, he even stated that people online say to have a 130 basking spot which he thinks is absurd because proteins break down at that temp, infact he gave an explanation why people have it so hot and he said "its because someone online told them to!", and he says 105 is good, he as well said that if humidity is too high (above 20%-50%) that they could have shedding problems. Now u could say that hes an idiot and hes totaly wrong, but even if hes wrong his monitors didnt die and if i follow his instructions mine should have the same same chance as his many monitors. And even if following his book is all i could do it still might be a good thing to get one because u even said "a majority of savs dont make it to there 1st birthday" (which ik is from savmonitors.org cuz ive read 50 times), so a sav with me according to u and especially Mark K Bayless would give 1 sav a better chance at making it than with someone else, if that statistic is accurate

TegusRawsome80 said:
Mark was not "evil". His care is simply outdated. He is not evil, I have a friend who was very close with him and he was a great guy but his book is outdated if it states that basking temp. We are basing our claims off of what you told us you read. I don't know if it's true or not. I haven't read the book but you need to read some updated care information.

and im quite aware he wasnt evil, i was just trying to show tegubuzz how his statement was ilogical

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980