• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Little guy said hello

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ahhh, shoulda named them giant creamcicle garbage disposals.. Wait till he maxes out and then start comparing him with some B&Ws :shock: .. My boy has been up for a couple weeks now, I'm so excited to watch him grow this season!! BTW, boon was only 15-16inches before he went down - a few inches longer and quite a few shorter than some of the others.. It'll even out in the end, enjoy him while he's too small to eat the hand that feeds him :-D ..

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well this is how they all start out, lol. I think that he grew pretty good in the first five weeks.

Attachments

• DSCN3907sm.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 2
  • DSCN3951.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 2

The captain

5 Year Member
I think that he grew pretty good in the first five weeks.
^^^
I agree, he will probably catch up.
I was just looking at the hind legs and head color. and maybe to the untrained eye this giant and a basic are the same. I just cant understand how after a shed, all that extra spotting will appear on the legs and such.

Just looking at a yearling tegus like blizzard i wonder, did he skip hibernation or what?

Im going to give the animal all the chance he needs, and im not setting expectations for him just yet. All i hope for is that he grows big, strong, pretty, and above all docile. I will provide the best husbandry i can, but the rest is up to nature.

Im sure there is a long and great relationship in store with this lizard, and i just want him to wake up for good already!

btw, i saw your vid on the MBD tegu bobby. it made me very sad to see the hurt animal, but it really built alot of respect in my book to see just how much you care about these majestic creatures.
Can someone explain why albinos cant tolerate bright light in the first place?

anyways thanks for the tips everyone, im off to get my wisdom teeth ganked :drool

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Nice looking little guy you have there! For MVB, I like to use PetMountain. They have reasonable prices.

The captain

5 Year Member
Thanks,
i guess im going to go with both heat emitters and a UV tube.

Do i need the UV strip to run the entire setups length?

The captain

5 Year Member
Alright, im not sure how many watts ill need to get the basking spot to 110 in a 55/75.

another thing ive bee wondering...
In the aquarium hobby i have seen lots of people use large rubbermaid stock tanks for sump and refugium systems, and im wondering if anyone here has tried housing a tegu in one? they are pretty cheap and i think they make them pretty large. Humidity would be a challenge though.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You'll have to experiment with the wattage, 75W is a good starting point. A 55G is only 12" wide and not suitable for a Tegu of any age. A 75G is 18" and would work for a while. I've never worried about the humidity in a tank for a Tegu, as long as the mulch is damp he'll get all the moisture he needs while he's sleeping.

I've read someone has used a stock tank for a Tegu. Maybe AB or Rehabralphy might know. A front opening enclosure is better for most critters. Swooping down from above in a tank brings on a "fight or flight" response to evade the predator trying to eat them.

The captain

5 Year Member
Haha i could care less about the cost of keeping him.
i just wish he was up and growing haha.
I sold some of my other reptiles, so its super slow around here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980