• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Maximum basking surface temp

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
laurarfl said:
lol. Let me find one for free AND a rebate!

Don't even waste your time. Trish will tell you that NOBODY can find things cheaper than me (aka "The Finder")

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Should I get you guys horses and swords so you can properly fight over me? Heh heh :)

[attachment=6595][attachment=6596][attachment=6597]

Done!!! Yaaaay!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362598437315.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362598437315.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 25
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362598458622.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362598458622.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362598479332.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362598479332.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 33

Roadkill

5 Year Member
As for things in direct light, they can absorb much more energy than we think and overheat way more than the ambient temperature would suggest. In Brasil my temperature data loggers that were left out in the sun would crap out and fail mid-day as they overshot their upper level (>60 degrees Celsius) even though ambient was no where near that. Similarly, if a tegu stayed out in direct sun all day, they too would die (put a data logger in a dead tegu and left it in the sun to determine this).

As for temp guns, there's a reason some are really expensive while others are dirt cheap. It relates to their accuracy, what temperature range they have, whether you can adjust their emissivity measure, and what the distance:surface area read ratio is. The cheapo ones probably have an accuracy of +-1 degree, average temperature ranges (not too low below freezing, not too high), and a really limited D: S ratio (usually 8:1 but I've seen as low as 1:1) which affects how far away you can be to get a decent reading.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Roadkill, so..... am i good do you think? My wrist test has led me to believe he's not going to burn himself. And now that I have humidity running, cool side is saying 74 with humidity at 41% currently, but will prob rise more. And warm side overall at 81 but basking roughly 100 give or take.

[attachment=6598][attachment=6599][attachment=6600] he's sooooo sleepy.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362600720525.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362600720525.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362600737899.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362600737899.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 13
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362600753076.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362600753076.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 12

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
The HF laser sighted thermometer can take temps pretty far away and has a wide range. Plus or minus one degree shouldn't matter.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Uh, hate to break it to you, Dubya, but that HF you have a link to has a D: S ratio of 1:1 - while all IR thermometers can take temps pretty far away, it helps to understand what you're actually reading.....a 1:1 ratio means that at 1 foot away, you're getting the average temperature of the surface of a 1 foot diameter circle, or in other words, you're not measuring your tegu's body temperature at any distance further than about 3 inches.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I'm very confused now. :(

Ugh.so it's reading 74 in there now. :/ is that bad for night temps? I'll have to get a red night bulb. Def. Grrrr.

Ok...so I think my only "real " issue after re-reading all the info is ...is the night time temp too low. I understand at night temps naturally go down. The reptiles burrow and sleep at night. So realistically 74 or around that 'might ' be fine(?) Right? I don't know...trying to learn. :) *shudders at having to admit she doesn't know everything*. ;)

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Personally, I'd want the night time temperature a few degrees higher. I don't have any concrete evidence to say for sure, but analysis of my physiological data seems to point at that temp (74F) as being the tipping point between "active" and "hibernating". Not saying that it (or lower temps) would induce hibernation, just that in free roaming tegus, it was roughly around that temperature at night that you see a pronounced shift in physiology.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah...dubya said raise temps with night bulb instead of che. Ugh. I DEFINITELY don't want him to hibernate any longer. :( I can tell his tail is not buldgy like it was so I know his reserves are probably depleting. *sigh* I thought this would be easier to get 'right ' with all of my research plus info from everyone on TeguTalk ... :( I just want niles to be happy/healthy/well taken care of. I won't give up! I'll get this!!! :)

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Roadkill said:
Uh, hate to break it to you, Dubya, but that HF you have a link to has a D: S ratio of 1:1 - while all IR thermometers can take temps pretty far away, it helps to understand what you're actually reading.....a 1:1 ratio means that at 1 foot away, you're getting the average temperature of the surface of a 1 foot diameter circle, or in other words, you're not measuring your tegu's body temperature at any distance further than about 3 inches.

Roadkill, I hate to break it to you, but I can get within 3 inches of my tegu, which is what I usually do.

Look, just measure the temps at 3 inches and move away in increments testing each time till the temp changes. That will be your effective range of the thermometer.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Then I'd have to say you and I have very different ideas of what "pretty far away" means, or what determines the effective range of a IR thermometer.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Ok I'm def getting a night bulb instead of che. It sucks. :/ useless unless niles learns how to stand on his tippy toes and sleep directly under it like that...

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I don't need to check my tegus temp from the bathroom. A foot away would be plenty.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Not saying you do, but if you've got an IR thermometer with a D: S ratio of 1:1, and are measuring your tegu's body temperature from a foot away, then you're sadly mistaken if you think it is measuring just your tegu's body temperature.

BatGirl, what wattage of ceramic heat emitter have you been trying to use? And from what distance? An alternative you might consider would be a heated hide - instead of trying to heat the entire enclosure you could try to heat just their burrow with something like heat tape or a heat cord.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
The che is 150w. It is up on the ceiling and my enclosure is 3ft tall with approx 12in of substrate. His basking 'bench ' gets nice and warm underneath but at night the lights go off...so yeah, maybe if I put another hide under where i have the ceramic socket mounted, then put the night bulb in it instead of the che, that hide will be his 'warm place ' for the night time(?) I'll try that! ALSO ...dubya, you weren't kidding about the peat! I had to REMOVE it bucket by bucket, soak it with 4 gallons of water and knead it through my hands, then put it back in. Omg I hope it retains that moisture! I was doing that since like 6:30am and pretty much just cleaned up and sat to rest my aching back and shoulders! Yikes!!! :p

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
D, I use these night lamps. They project heat downward very well. I use two 75w for night heat. I have them on an inline lamp dimmer so I can reduce the intensity as temps get warmer in the spring. They are available up to 250w.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-incandescent-bulbs/11442-504715/zoo-med-nocturnal-infrared-heat-lamp.html
Btw, Roadkill, the Harbor Freight laser targeted thermometer is 8:1.

BatGirl1 said:
The che is 150w. It is up on the ceiling and my enclosure is 3ft tall with approx 12in of substrate. His basking 'bench ' gets nice and warm underneath but at night the lights go off...so yeah, maybe if I put another hide under where i have the ceramic socket mounted, then put the night bulb in it instead of the che, that hide will be his 'warm place ' for the night time(?) I'll try that! ALSO ...dubya, you weren't kidding about the peat! I had to REMOVE it bucket by bucket, soak it with 4 gallons of water and knead it through my hands, then put it back in. Omg I hope it retains that moisture! I was doing that since like 6:30am and pretty much just cleaned up and sat to rest my aching back and shoulders! Yikes!!! :p
You will have to stir it up sometimes so mold doesn't form in it. If you let it dry out completely, you will have a hell of a time wetting it again. I use a clean, new garden sprayer as a mister besides the crappy repti-fogger.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I was thinking of using another members idea too of putting earthworms in the peat...wouldn't this help regulate everything? Moisture and turning the soil, etc. Plus yummy snacks for niles to 'find ' for enrichment :)

aambumann

Here is the temp gun I use from Amazon.com, http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Thermometer-Contact-Temperature-Measurement/dp/B002OD0NCG it has been dependable. You can also check out Newwegg.com, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=temperature+gun+infrared

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
BatGirl1 said:
I was thinking of using another members idea too of putting earthworms in the peat...wouldn't this help regulate everything? Moisture and turning the soil, etc. Plus yummy snacks for niles to 'find ' for enrichment :)
[attachment=6619]
Not just for Niles! (nom nom nom)

Attachments

• Woman_Eating_Worms.jpg
    Woman_Eating_Worms.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 7

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member