• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Maximum basking surface temp

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
It may be somewhere else on here but what would be the absolute maximum basking surface temp. My temp gage is reading 122. This is directly under the light, which is a 150w flood. It is aimed at a stone platform. The temp of the entire stone platform is not as high. At one side it was reading 106. I want good temps but don't want him to burn and I'm not sure what is "too hot ". The ambient temps seem in the middle to high 90's on hot side and middle 70's on cool side. Thanks for any input. Also, I know when the fogger is hooked up this will probably change the temps because of the humidity factor. Niles is still asleep/hibernating in his other enclosure. Just want everything perfect for him when he wakes up and goes into his 'big boy ' house :)

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
D, are you going to use a mvb too? If so, I would cut back on the wattage a bit. Btw, those mvb's put out about the same heat as a halogen of half the wattage.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
No I have a fluoresent(spell) tube uvb across the back and two flood lights on the center ceiling. One aimed at the basking stone and one aimed towards the rest of the enclosure for ambient temp. I can always go down on one of the floods...the basking one...if it gets too hot. But not sure what 'too hot ' really is.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Gwangi seems to like the hottest part of the basking spot to be about 110.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If the surface it 122, then it is not too hot. The surface will be hotter than ambient of course. Watch you tegu and see how he reacts to it.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
This is not as easy to answer as many would think. I imagine most people here think of temperature in "absolute" terms and would spit out a simple answer such as the typical "basking temps should be 110-115F", but I'd like to show you it isn't quite so simple. Without a doubt this temperature is important and you should be aiming for a certain range, but some other things to keep in mind are the thermal properties of basking spot itself, particularly the thermal conductivity and thermal capacitance. Heat is energy, and the thermal conductivity of an object is, in layman's terms, its ability to transfer that heat, how easily it will "give it up". Thermal capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to "absorb" this energy (really, how much energy is required to be absorbed to raise a set mass by 1 degree). If an object has a high thermal capacity and a high thermal conductance, I'd say this would be very dangerous to use as a basking platform as it has a high amount of heat stored at any temperature and will readily offload it to your pet. Thankfully there really aren't that many materials with this set of characteristics. Metal has a medium thermal capacity, but a high thermal conductance - think how easily you can burn yourself by grabbing a hot piece of metal (most people don't realise it doesn't need to be that hot to actually burn - this is where the thermal conductance comes apparent). Wood typically has a high thermal capacity but a low thermal conductance - it can store a lot of energy, but it doesn't readily transfer that heat to another object. Grab a piece of metal at 200F and you'll likely quickly let go of it or suffer a burn - grab a piece of wood at the same temperature and you can likely handle it quite comfortably albeit not firmly (this is the principle that fire walkers take advantage of - walking on hot coals is no big deal because the thermal conductivity is low, but you wouldn't get them doing the same stunt on a sheet of metal at the same temperature because without question they'd suffer serious burns - it has nothing to do with mind over matter, more mind over fear).

So some things to keep in mind with all this is that tegus like to regulate their body temperature around the same level that typically most mammals do. To do this, and to do so in timely fashion, they actually need access to temperatures greater than regular body temperature (just like any equilibrium exchange scenario, the closer to equilibrium, the slower equilibrium is approached - so if you've offered 98F, it will take a long time for them to reach 98F; offer them 120F however, and they can readily reach 98F quickly and then back off the heat). However, there is a limit to how hot you want to offer, and as I've explained above, the characteristic of that heat is also important. There is a frequent phenomenon observed with reptiles that science has yet to fully understand - give them radiant heat and reptiles seem to thermoregulate quite well and without too much trouble; give them conductive heat (from a solid surface) and for some reason reptiles will cuddle up to a branding iron without seeming to notice they're burning themselves severely. This is why you need to be aware of the thermal conductance of the basking area. It would be of no real use to tell people the measure of thermal conductance you should be reaching for (there might be an optimum, but I don't think it has been worked out - clearly wood is not likely to burn, most rock should be safe....), but it is quite easy to discern empirically. Once your basking area has heated up after a few hours, place your bare wrist against it. If you feel comfortable with the heat, then it's fine for your tegu. If, however, it feels like it's potentially burning you, you should probably replace your basking platform.

Scott_k

With Tyson he has two areas to bask, I use a 250 watt flood light which gets around 115-120f and a 160 watt power sun which gets to about 100-105f. I noticed that he alternates between the two. He spends more time on the hotter side though.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you soooo much :) . As I said, the whole surface does not reach 122. Just the spot directly under the flood. If I put my hand there it is "hot " , but I don't have to pull away. And as my hand absorbs the heat the surface temp lowers and the top of my hand begins to heat instead, obviously. But I will try the wrist next time. I only have a thermometor and not a "gun " , so my thought was that the unit being placed under the flood may have been "heating up " based on the components inside of it and not the actual temp of the stone (maybe wire/plastic/metal) . But that 122 is what it was reading after a short time. If placed 'nearby ' it was reading in the mid/high 90's. This is with doors open , mind you, and no humidity. My thought is perhaps he would adjust himself if he became too hot, and someone at the pet store I go to (she breeds reptiles so she's not just a dumb cashier, haha, no offense to cashiers, I'm saying she isn't just in it for the money she knows her stuff...ugh I'll stop now). . . Anyway she said in the wild rocks,etc get crazy temps and the reptiles go to the areas they feel most comfortable. And can take higher temps than what people say, etc. I was just worried about contact burns and also if he'd 'know enough ' to move if it got 'too much '. I have heard not to use heat rocks for that reason.because they can burn animals. I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you all so much. :)

Also I remember the 'wrist test ' from making bottles for my kids when they were babies :) , which was so long ago now I had forgotten. :)

Roadkill

5 Year Member
You're fairly correct, things left in the light will heat up according to energy they are receiving from the light and may not reflect the actual temperature of the surface you're trying to measure (hence where a cheap temp gun really comes in handy).

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was surprised at the difference between surface temps and ambient when I got my temp gun. On a 90 degree day, the sandy surface outside would be 118 or so. That is the area that the tegus and tortoise like to bask.

nepoez

5 Year Member
my tegu would go to the basking spot which is about 122F, made of a red brick, he'd stay there for about 1-3 minutes and then you go roam around again for the duration of the time that he's not burrowing. Then every once in a while he'd bask again for a couple mins, then repeat.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
[attachment=6593] http://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-non-contact-69465.html

I use this thermometer. You can get it on sale cheaper. Even cheaper with the "Inside Track Club" card.

Attachments

• image_20980.jpg
    image_20980.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 14

Raicardoso

Yeah this was something i struggled a lot with ( still struggle a bit with). Whether to focus more on the surface temperature or the temperature of when his back when he's on the rock. When he's off the rock its 120 but when he's on it it's obviously quite lower.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Maximum basking surface temp

Dubya said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-non-contact-69465.html

I use this thermometer. You can get it on sale cheaper. Even cheaper with the "Inside Track Club" card.

Omg thank you so much! The girl was telling me the guns could be really expensive. This is not bad at all! I'll order one asap!

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
BatGirl1 said:
Dubya said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-non-contact-69465.html

Omg thank you so much! The girl was telling me the guns could be really expensive. This is not bad at all! I'll order one asap!
I could pick one up for you and use my discount card. I would bring it with me to Manchester and save you shipping. First check if they have a store near you.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use this one.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/89_77/products_id/10102/n/Pro-Exotics-PE-1-Temp-Gun?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds&source=google_ext&gclid=CLjxmrC06LUCFQP0nAodszYA5w

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
[attachment=6594] Even cheaper
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html

Attachments

• image_18259.jpg
    image_18259.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 6

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-Fever-Thermometer-Features-Peak-Temperature-Beeper-Last-Read-Memory-1-EA/12521168

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
laurarfl said:
There!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-Fever-Thermometer-Features-Peak-Temperature-Beeper-Last-Read-Memory-1-EA/12521168

That one has to go in the tegu's ear hole or butt!

Take this, Laura, I can play that game!
http://www.reply2day.com/OSF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980