• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mice Thawing

CuriousTegu760

5 Year Member
I have a quick a question i was wondering what everyone else does to thawed out their mice?

like do you guys put them in warm water? or do you put them in the refrigerator until they get soft?

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
i just set mine out a while before i am going to feed and let them thaw at rom temp. i will use warm water or a small space heater to warm it up when i'm ready to feed.

jmiles50

5 Year Member
I just get the sink filled about half way up w hot water, let it sit aboout 20min, and viola it's done :-D

CuriousTegu760

5 Year Member
Ya usually put mine in hot hot water for about 10 mins or until they are soft but i was examining the mice and i saw like small white blob spots some places on the mouse

And i dont know if its because its not fully thawed out or if its just normal or if its something else so ya.

Tux

5 Year Member
The best method is to actually put them in a fridge like you would normal meat, but I'm lazy so hot water + ziplock and then use my heat gun on the head if it's a neonate or picky eater.

mschuld

5 Year Member
I throw mine in a zip-lock baggy and let them float in hot/warm water while I do other maintenance. If they are larger rodents I will change out the water to speed up thawing. I think the white spots is tissue damage from flash freezing.

Tux

5 Year Member
flash freezing causes less tissue damage than slow freezing actually, it's to do with the size/amount of ice crystals which are formed. I see no white spots on mine though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me