• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mite question

KayHay0209

So I just found out my bearded dragon has “snake mites” now they obviously don’t come in contact and I’ve taken him to the vet and I’m taking the proper steps to treat him but! Their enclosures are across from each other and my tegus cage is bioactive. So I’m stressing out really hard, I have yet to notice anything on my boy. I’ve read that snake mites don’t really bother tegus. But I would just like to double check and see if anyone here knows anything before I make another vet trip.

thank you for your time.

Acre

No knowledge specific to snake mites on Tegus but I have dealt with them on snakes and alligator lizards in the past. Lots of bad info on the net - like soaking, which will never get rid of them for good; it will only temporarily reduce their numbers.
Provent-a-mite is the only thing that works. Use as directed. Treat enclosures and the the outside of the cage so mites in the environment can't get back in. Repeat after 6 weeks to be sure of breaking the cycle. All topical treatments are worthless. Internal anti-parasite treatments are ultimatly worthless as mites loose in the environment will make their way back to the lizard or snake and you will have an ongoing problem.

KayHay0209

No knowledge specific to snake mites on Tegus but I have dealt with them on snakes and alligator lizards in the past. Lots of bad info on the net - like soaking, which will never get rid of them for good; it will only temporarily reduce their numbers.
Provent-a-mite is the only thing that works. Use as directed. Treat enclosures and the the outside of the cage so mites in the environment can't get back in. Repeat after 6 weeks to be sure of breaking the cycle. All topical treatments are worthless. Internal anti-parasite treatments are ultimatly worthless as mites loose in the environment will make their way back to the lizard or snake and you will have an ongoing problem.
I did buy that it wont come in til Monday. I also bought that topical spray. And the mites ultimately came from my abronia.
But I was doing a lot of research last night about the predator mites that rat snake mites. Have you ever tried that route or found it to be successful?

Acre

I did buy that it wont come in til Monday. I also bought that topical spray. And the mites ultimately came from my abronia.
But I was doing a lot of research last night about the predator mites that rat snake mites. Have you ever tried that route or found it to be successful?
Never went that route. But again, the goal should be elimination, not reduction.
Not surprised to hear Abronia were the source. It's well known that alligator lizards can vector snake mites as well as lizard mites.

KayHay0209

Never went that route. But again, the goal should be elimination, not reduction.
Not surprised to hear Abronia were the source. It's well known that alligator lizards can vector snake mites as well as lizard mites.
Well the predator mites do eliminate them they eat up to 5 mites a day per mite and when the em infestation is eradicated they turn on each other and eat each other. I was going to treat my other animals and then put those in my tegus tank just incase and the replenish my springtails population in a month. But they don’t harm isopods. Just as a precautionary for my gu.
but thank you so much for to ur knowledge I appreciate it. A lot. Thank you so much.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi