• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need Help with Taming my Baby Tegu (Super Aggressive)

Rex Taylor

I would need a close up picture of his nose to be sure, but I do believe he is an argentine tegu. He could just be a bit sassy and should tame down if handled properly/regularly.

http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/uploads/1/9/2/6/19266971/3811116_orig.jpg

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/compare_arg.jpg

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/compare_col.jpg
also, whats the best way to handle them, all ive been doing is just putting on protective gloves and petting his back, its showing MINOR signs of improvement, is there another way to gain that trust better, or is what im doing the best way

Rex Taylor

Attachments

• 20161028_101431.jpg
    20161028_101431.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • 20161028_101439.jpg
    20161028_101439.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 127

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No gloves. Work around him often, but don't touch him everytime you are working in his enclosure. They hear pretty well, and I believe that talking to them is beneficial. If you pick him up, do so from his sides and scoop under. Never a grab from above. a worn/sweaty shirt or hankerchief in his hide will help as well.

Rex Taylor

No gloves. Work around him often, but don't touch him everytime you are working in his enclosure. They hear pretty well, and I believe that talking to them is beneficial. If you pick him up, do so from his sides and scoop under. Never a grab from above. a worn/sweaty shirt or hankerchief in his hide will help as well.
are you sure getting rid of the gloves is a good idea? I'm just trying to be cautious since he has bitten me once already

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
are you sure getting rid of the gloves is a good idea? I'm just trying to be cautious since he has bitten me once already
Ultimately, your call for safety.

I suggest a spray bottle with ice water. He bites, you let him have it and in deep voice say NO!

Rex Taylor

Ultimately, your call for safety.

I suggest a spray bottle with ice water. He bites, you let him have it and in deep voice say NO!
does that actually work with reptiles, i know you can do that with cats and dogs, but i didnt know that works on lizards.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It probably wouldn't work on a bearded dragon or a leopard gecko haha but tegus and most monitors are extremely smart for reptiles. I was talking to someone at an expo and they said something that perfectly describes it. "they are at least as smart as a dumb dog" so yes simple commands and names can be taught with patience
Works on green iggies as well.

Rex Taylor

I think the water would work with most reptiles but I think the command would be lost to them haha. I should have added iggies to the post, I have only worked with a couple little ones but they are very intelligent as well
So quick progress report. I've been able to start petting him on his back, he has a bit of an interjection with it, like heavy breathing, but other then that things are going better. He seems to like his bottom jaw pet, since he shows no interjection with tht. I cant pick him up though, everytime i try to get my hand under him, he either lashes out or runs, so thats about the same has its been.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So quick progress report. I've been able to start petting him on his back, he has a bit of an interjection with it, like heavy breathing, but other then that things are going better. He seems to like his bottom jaw pet, since he shows no interjection with tht. I cant pick him up though, everytime i try to get my hand under him, he either lashes out or runs, so thats about the same has its been.
Progress.

Rex Taylor

Progress Update: So, he is being a little bit more accepting of me. He lets me pet his side with little to no rejection, however, i cant touch his back, tail, head, or really anywhere but his side. He seems to be a little bit more trusting, but not by much. He absolutely REFUSES to be held, ive tried putting my hand under him to pick him up but he freaks out. I've been slowly but surely making progress. Thank you those who gave me advise and information about him and what to do. I'll post again if anything new happens.

Savemygrave

Progress Update: So, he is being a little bit more accepting of me. He lets me pet his side with little to no rejection, however, i cant touch his back, tail, head, or really anywhere but his side. He seems to be a little bit more trusting, but not by much. He absolutely REFUSES to be held, ive tried putting my hand under him to pick him up but he freaks out. I've been slowly but surely making progress. Thank you those who gave me advise and information about him and what to do. I'll post again if anything new happens.
Hi Rex,

Don't worry. I had a very flighty aggressive young tegu when I first got Olive. She would lunge at me and bite viciously. I can't even count the amount of times she's bitten me and really messed up my fingers and even ear!

Just stick at it a little at a time and build the bond. I found that slowing things down and interacting on her terms has worked brilliantly. I still have issues holding her from time to time, but other than that she's mostly a little babe.

I'd say it took the best part of a year to get to the stage we are at now. Really, patience is key. Some Tegu's are just more wary and defensive than others.

I may also add that she absolutely hates my partner and will happily lunge at him when she's in her viv with her mouth wide open and she runs and hides when she hears his voice. She's a funny little thing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Trede

..."they are at least as smart as a dumb dog" ...

I've definitely met dogs dumber than my tegu. She's potty trained to go on puppy pads inside, she very clearly indicates when she wants a bath by walking to the tub and scratching at it, comes when she's called (if she wants to...the flip side of being smart)...

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've definitely met dogs dumber than my tegu. She's potty trained to go on puppy pads inside, she very clearly indicates when she wants a bath by walking to the tub and scratching at it, comes when she's called (if she wants to...the flip side of being smart)...
That's really neat.

Rex Taylor

Progress Update: So, I've started trying to hold him and get him used to me, he's fine with crawling on my arm and shoulders, as well as walking around exploring the room. But, when hands come into the picture, hes super pissed. When hes actually being held hes calmer then he used to be, but when hands come near him to pick him up he freaks out until hes off the ground. At one point tail whipping me in the face, so there is progress with overall handling, but the hand thing he doesnt do well with.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Progress Update: So, I've started trying to hold him and get him used to me, he's fine with crawling on my arm and shoulders, as well as walking around exploring the room. But, when hands come into the picture, hes super pissed. When hes actually being held hes calmer then he used to be, but when hands come near him to pick him up he freaks out until hes off the ground. At one point tail whipping me in the face, so there is progress with overall handling, but the hand thing he doesnt do well with.
Lift from the sides/ bottom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu